• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File is damaged and cannot open?

GoodPeopleFlags

I designed a layout in Illustrator CS3 and my computer froze up in the middle of it. That's not the problem. That's been happening lately (tech guy on the way) so I've been saving quite a bit as I go along. I had just saved my file, then tried to put a "feather" effect on something and that's when it froze. The problem is that after I rebooted, I go to open the file and it says it's "damaged and can not be repaired"! I can't place it in Illy either. I tried to open it in Photoshop and that said the same thing. What's going on? Is there anyway to retrieve what I've done? I spent a couple of hours on it! :omg:
Thanks!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
For future reference, if you are going to save as you go, use the Save As command and modify the name on each save like filename01, filename02 etc.

jmcnicoll

Open up your other saved copy of it because this one is junk!!!!

Sorry, seen this before and never have gotten one open.

Jim

jayhawksigns

This reminds me of a feature missing from Flexi that was in CAS-Mate.

The current Flexi auto-save overwrites the existing file, in CAS-Mate it auto-saved the file as .bak, with as many revisions as you wanted.

SignBurst PCs

There should be an emoticon that's crying cuz I would use it now.

What makes something like that happen?

There is a big, long, technical answer to that, I am sure.

But it is basically that it didn't get to "close" the file properly and now your computer doesn't know how to read it. Sorry Man, I beleive that these folks are right. It is probably gone. Upgrade your computer (or fix it if there is something wrong with it), so that it doesn't freeze in the middle of designs anymore. Not to say that saving along the way isn't still a GREAT thing to do, but you can minimize your risk.

beermonster

ok i'd do some work on your computer - run applejack or onyx - if you're mack based - might help clean up things and stop the crashes

take a look at the crash report too - it might give clues

ya know cs3 comes with version cue right? allows automated incremental saving, which basically rewinds to whichever last version saved - i've never used it myself - dont even really know how to use it - but i think it would do what you need

good luck

jmcnicoll

When I have a lot of time into working a file I try to always have it saved on two different drives for this reason. Like in most other cases when you do this you never have a problem, but if you don't save it you'll lose it.

Jim

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for all the responses! Yeah, this computer crashin' stuff is driving me crazy. My boss had someone build it for us when we got our Epson GS6000 a couple of months ago. He built it according to the specs that would be required to run the printer and what they told us we would need. It either freezes up (ctrl+alt+del won't turn it off - gotta use the power button) or just turns off and starts rebooting, sometimes 10 - 12 times a day. Very frustrating. The guy who built it has looked at it a few times but can't figure out the problem. He's picking it up Friday and going to see if he can figure it out over the weekend. The thing is, there isn't a pattern to when it happens. It could be while it's booting up and no programs are open. Or I could have 2 - 3 programs open with some big files and it's fine for awhile. If anyone has any suggestions on what it might be that I could pass along, that would be great.
Thank you, everyone! Gotta run - I have a file to recreate. :doh::cool: