• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File size limits in Onyx

Anastasi55

I'm trying to do an art print of a high res scan of a painting on canvas. I've saved the .TIF that we got from the artist to a PDF, but it's over 1GB. It imports OK in Onyx, but after Ripping, it just disappears from the screen.

Is there a limit to the file size that Onyx can handle? I was trained by our vendor to lean toward printing PDFs, but will other file formats work OK?

Anastasi55

Onyx can handle it.

What version of onyx?
What PC Specs?
Onyx version 18.0.0.5278
The PC is a Dell Precision T3618 I have no idea what the specs are... I don't have this problem with any of my other printing, this is the largest file size I've worked with...

Anastasi55

Sounds like your file is broken.
I wish that were the case, but it opens fine in Photoshop and Acrobat. It even goes through an initial Rip OK. But, when I open Job Properties and edit the media to match what's loaded in the printer, it just disappears from the queue window.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm trying to do an art print of a high res scan of a painting on canvas. I've saved the .TIF that we got from the artist to a PDF, but it's over 1GB. It imports OK in Onyx, but after Ripping, it just disappears from the screen.

Is there a limit to the file size that Onyx can handle? I was trained by our vendor to lean toward printing PDFs, but will other file formats work OK?
Onyx can print TIF files straightaway. There's no need to convert to PDF. Try clearing old jobs from the Onyx "work" folder.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Onyx version 18.0.0.5278
The PC is a Dell Precision T3618 I have no idea what the specs are... I don't have this problem with any of my other printing, this is the largest file size I've worked with...

Onyx version is good - not to old.
Pc seems ok - either 4 or 6 core. probably enough ram with 8gb or more.

Have you tried to leave it there and see if it reappears?

What does the consol say on onyx when it happens? (bottom right)

Anastasi55

Onyx version is good - not to old.
Pc seems ok - either 4 or 6 core. probably enough ram with 8gb or more.

Have you tried to leave it there and see if it reappears?

What does the consol say on onyx when it happens? (bottom right)
I left it alone over the weekend - nothing. I don't see any notifications on the console - I could check again, but so far, it's just been... nothing.

Anastasi55

OK, I did see the error message: "unable to set up multi-level processing" I'm not sure how to handle that, but one thing that may be causing the problem is that this is a wide image that's being rotated to fit on 36" wide canvas. I'm going to try is rotating the image in Photoshop first and importing into Onyx again. Wish me luck.

Anastasi55

So, after getting on the phone with Grimco tech support, trying different file types, restarting the Ripping computer, I tried a different media profile (a different department head needed a poster more urgently). It printed. So, I either have to fake it with the other profile, or search for and updated one that works with the canvas...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
So, after getting on the phone with Grimco tech support, trying different file types, restarting the Ripping computer, I tried a different media profile (a different department head needed a poster more urgently). It printed. So, I either have to fake it with the other profile, or search for and updated one that works with the canvas...
That seems really odd.
remove the media profile and re install it?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We've ripped >4GB files in the past no problems, so it's not an Onyx limitation (tested in both 10.2 and 12.2).
We did have a profile issue in the past where non-standard characters in the file name caused similar issues.
Renaming the ICC and re-importing fixed the issue for us. Just had to use standard (A-Z a-z 0-9) characters and it was all smooth sailing.

natallica

Graphics Guru
Under Edit Quick Set, go to Postscript settings tab and untick the box that says 'Use Two Stage Processing'. Pixel duplication on large files could be causing it to crash. It fixed that issue for me once.

Just a thought.
-N8

brdesign

also check to see if the .tiff file is an 8bit file. I have had customers send 16 and 32 bit raster files that caused onyx to crash