• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Finecut 9 and New Large Artboards in Adobe Illustrator

chartle

Has anyone tried the new Larger Canvas Feature and tried to make Finecut Crop Marks.

I work with large vehicle graphics so the larger canvas is great and I don't have to scale my graphics. I did a few test and Rasterlink handles the files just fine but noticing Finecut does weird things when I add cropmarks. The sizing is just odd. It will say recommended size .16" when it should be 1.4" or so. And when I do say .16" they are around the size they should be but the stroke weight is all off.

Did I miss a Finecut update or does anyone know if there is one in the works or a simple work around?

thanks

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Could just create your own script/action in illy. Creates the reg marks and cut layer and not rely on FineCut. This what we do in Corel. Our prints are handled by a print tech with a stand alone workstation running the FineCut plugin. Each design workstation has a macro to create the cut layer, the cut lines, the reg marks, and the bleeds then exports to a print "Hot Folder" or que. After print & laminate the print tech can move it to the plotter and pull up the corel file and just plot from FineCut, skipping the create reg marks.

chartle

Could just create your own script/action in illy. Creates the reg marks and cut layer and not rely on FineCut. This what we do in Corel. Our prints are handled by a print tech with a stand alone workstation running the FineCut plugin. Each design workstation has a macro to create the cut layer, the cut lines, the reg marks, and the bleeds then exports to a print "Hot Folder" or que. After print & laminate the print tech can move it to the plotter and pull up the corel file and just plot from FineCut, skipping the create reg marks.

I guess its just not my workflow. I sort of stumbled into doing vehicle graphics when I was hired as the Network Support Manager at a cab company. Its now my major job function.

I'm by myself its the way I have learned to do it. i have a felling Mimaki will have an update soon.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Is there any reason you use the plugin instead of CutContour lines?

Could always save the cutcontour lines then just put the reg marks on in the rip?

chartle

Is there any reason you use the plugin instead of CutContour lines?

Could always save the cutcontour lines then just put the reg marks on in the rip?
Not sure your question but I have a separate printer and cutter so I have to add the marks in Adobe using the plug in.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm curious about the "larger canvas" aspect of your question. As far as I can determine, Illustrator still insists on the arbitrary 227" x 227" limits. I have longed for Adobe to "borrow" the scaling feature from CorelDraw that allows you to use "full-sized" dimensions while doing scale drawings- just for the sake of ease (because I admit I get math stupid at times).

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I'm curious about the "larger canvas" aspect of your question. As far as I can determine, Illustrator still insists on the arbitrary 227" x 227" limits. I have longed for Adobe to "borrow" the scaling feature from CorelDraw that allows you to use "full-sized" dimensions while doing scale drawings- just for the sake of ease (because I admit I get math stupid at times).

nah with illustrator 24.1 (think it’s that) they made the art board sizes HUGE. Like 57m square huge.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
nah with illustrator 24.1 (think it’s that) they made the art board sizes HUGE. Like 57m square huge.
Well, that's what I'm running, and it's still limited to the "canvas" size- 227" square. Did some checking, it appears to be 24.2 is where it's implemented.

chartle

This drawing is a full size shuttle bus on a 640" by 470" art board. So nice I don't have worry about scaling in the RIP.

upload_2020-7-7_12-3-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-7_12-2-36.png
    upload_2020-7-7_12-2-36.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 98