• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FINECUT *!

RottenWraps

Hola!,
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of finecut8 for illustrator. I have looked everywhere that I can think of off the top of my head.

thanks in advance

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can download a trial version on Mimakiusa.com's support page. Otherwise you have to purchase a copy. The way their DRM works is you have to have a physical CD to validate the install.

RottenWraps

You can download a trial version on Mimakiusa.com's support page. Otherwise you have to purchase a copy. The way their DRM works is you have to have a physical CD to validate the install.

Ive looked for a place to buy a physical, or do you another cheaper route to send print and cut information to the printer?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
With Rasterlink you can setup the file just like a Roland does instead of using cutting software. You create a sport color called, "CutContour" and then set your cut path to that color (usually 100% magenta but you can use whatever you want). Then save as an EPS or PDF and open it in Rasterlink. It will see both the print and cut data and you can just print and cut from there. Cutting only does not work so well this way for some reason though and that's where Finecut or another cutting software might help.

Edit: I should clarify that you setup the spot color in Illustrator not Rasterlink. I just re-read and confused myself!

RottenWraps

With Rasterlink you can setup the file just like a Roland does instead of using cutting software. You create a sport color called, "CutContour" and then set your cut path to that color (usually 100% magenta but you can use whatever you want). Then save as an EPS or PDF and open it in Rasterlink. It will see both the print and cut data and you can just print and cut from there. Cutting only does not work so well this way for some reason though and that's where Finecut or another cutting software might help.

Edit: I should clarify that you setup the spot color in Illustrator not Rasterlink. I just re-read and confused myself!

so what your saying is essentially, create a cut line in illustrator on its own layer, and make it a spot color that is easily identified by rasterlink, then import it as a eps.. Ive tried this but the "Cut " options under raster, raster and print ... etc are always never available ( grayed out ) .....

Once again Sorry newbie alert

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
so what your saying is essentially, create a cut line in illustrator on its own layer, and make it a spot color that is easily identified by rasterlink, then import it as a eps.. Ive tried this but the "Cut " options under raster, raster and print ... etc are always never available ( grayed out ) .....

Once again Sorry newbie alert

We all started somewhere. Double click on any swatch in your color swatch tool box and it will pop up with some options. You just need to make sure it is set to Spot Color instead of Process Color and then in the name box make sure it says CutContour with capital C's and no spaces. Then save an then open in Rasterlink. If you do it correctly, the cut options will be available.

RottenWraps

We all started somewhere. Double click on any swatch in your color swatch tool box and it will pop up with some options. You just need to make sure it is set to Spot Color instead of Process Color and then in the name box make sure it says CutContour with capital C's and no spaces. Then save an then open in Rasterlink. If you do it correctly, the cut options will be available.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 194

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Much the same way in Corel
Make a "cut" layer. Set it to no print.
Create your cut lines on that layer. Color doesn't matter.
When you get ready to cut just hide all layers except the cut layer
Select all and hit "Plot Selected" on the Finecut Toolbar

We only have FineCut on out RIP station so I created macros for the other workstations. With macros/scripts you can set up the parameters needed for FineCut. i.e. Registration Layer and cut layer

RottenWraps

Much the same way in Corel
Make a "cut" layer. Set it to no print.
Create your cut lines on that layer. Color doesn't matter.
When you get ready to cut just hide all layers except the cut layer
Select all and hit "Plot Selected" on the Finecut Toolbar

We only have FineCut on out RIP station so I created macros for the other workstations. With macros/scripts you can set up the parameters needed for FineCut. i.e. Registration Layer and cut layer

That is the problem , I dont have finecut. The machine I purchased second hand did not come with finecut, only rasterlink and some ... simple studio or something like that?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Which version of Rasterlink do you have? If it's 5 you want to upgrade to Rasterlink 6. It has been a free upgrade for as long as I know but may have changed. You should be able to download it on Mimakiusa.com and then use your Rasterlink 5 password to activate it.

RottenWraps

Which version of Rasterlink do you have? If it's 5 you want to upgrade to Rasterlink 6. It has been a free upgrade for as long as I know but may have changed. You should be able to download it on Mimakiusa.com and then use your Rasterlink 5 password to activate it.
so im assuming i just download the latest update for 6, and it will update my 5?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
so im assuming i just download the latest update for 6, and it will update my 5?

It's a completely new install. Make sure to download the one that is full install and not just the updater. That's probably what the issue is. I couldn't remember if Rastelink 5 allowed for spot colors but I guess it doesn't! Also, you might need to deactivate your Rasterlink 5 before activating the 6. Rasterlink 6 also has a shorter password so you just type in as much of the Rasterlink 5 password as you can. I know for sure Rasterlink 6 will accept the spot color.