• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

finishing for printed "street" signs

LeiftheLucky

I'm printing on metal street signs on a flatbed and am trying to make the final product more permanent. I'm using adhesion promoter before printing so the ink sticks good but I'm still not confident in its durability. We have pressure sensitive lam that works great for other stuff but on metal it seems like it would peel off the metal at some point regardless. I've seen that sometimes stuff is printed on adhesive vinyl that is applied to the sign but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a flatbed and the ability to print directly on the media and also seems like it might peel off. I'm leaning in the direction of some sort of liquid lam but not sure if i'm overlooking a different option. Figured I'd toss it out there and see what you all thought. Thanks in advance for any feedback

I'm printing on metal street signs on a flatbed and am trying to make the final product more permanent. I'm using adhesion promoter before printing so the ink sticks good but I'm still not confident in its durability. We have pressure sensitive lam that works great for other stuff but on metal it seems like it would peel off the metal at some point regardless. I've seen that sometimes stuff is printed on adhesive vinyl that is applied to the sign but this seems to defeat the purpose of having a flatbed and the ability to print directly on the media and also seems like it might peel off. I'm leaning in the direction of some sort of liquid lam but not sure if i'm overlooking a different option. Figured I'd toss it out there and see what you all thought. Thanks in advance for any feedback

3M recommends 1170 for any digital prints on street signs. This is also supposed to be used with their matching reflectives. HIP and DG3 For engineer grade 3M only recommends screen print or transparent overlay.

FS-Keith

Printed vinyl still has its place, a flatbed doesn't eliminate the need for a roll to roll in most sign shops. We still used ladders everyday on our bucket trucks too!