• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fire Helmet Shields

I have had a lot of questions about my fire helmet shields, so I figured I would post up some pictures and info. I started making these for myself and people I work with more or less just as a fun side project. Little did I know the shields would turn out to be a major part of my business. At first I was cutting them out by hand with my plasma cutter and then painting them, now I have them CNC plasma cut and powder coated. The graphics are usually Edge printed on Oracal vinyl, sometimes with a combination of hand laid gold and silver leaf or RealGold brand gold sign vinyl. I then clear coat them with a special clear. The main question I get is "are they fire proof?" No, they are not fire proof. None of the protective equipment we wear as firefighters is fire proof. It is all "fire resistant" up to a certain temperature for a certain duration. My shields hold up as good or better than the traditional leather shields, but like anything else there is a limit and it is possible to burn them, but that limit is pretty hard to get to. There has been a lot of trial and error to get them to where they are now, but I enjoy making them and it gives me a chance to put my "old school" style to good use!

Standard reflective shield:
Sneed shield.jpg

Custom parade presentation shield:
russ engineer.jpg

Standard chief shield on RealGold:
chief sherrill.jpg

Custom standard shield with hand-laid gold leaf:
Charlotte gold leaf shield.jpg

Standard wedding shield:
brett wedding shield.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
Around here the firefighter helmets are all pretty well cooked and they love that look.
I don't think I've ever had one complain that their helmet was a little toasty looking, I think they like that look in most cases.
Nice work!