• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First 14 x 14 Design

WildWestDesigns

Just got done with the very first 14 x 14 pattern on the new machine. I thought I would use my avatar pic as the guinea pig.

13 different thread colors
155,000 stitches (all step stitching, so it's dense)
~4 hrs stitching time in total

picture.php

WildWestDesigns

With a 4hrs sewout time what would you need to charge for something like that?

That one I stabilized the hell out of it due to the fabric being too thin for that pattern. It would need to be on a thick full button up collared shirt or jacket, so that does skew that particular one a little more. I would say most of those would have to start around the 70-80 dollar range just the actual stitch out of the pattern.

These big ones, you can easily get in the couple of hundred dollar range (everything included) depending on other variables for just one complete item. That size is strictly for low run, or I would have to get a huge lead time, because I only have one head that came handle that size.

Digitizing cost on that would be unreal too. I might actually have to implement a cap on that cost for those. I like doing them, I think they look cool and it can really showcase what embroidery can do, but not if it's too cost prohibitive.

Craig Sjoquist said:
So what does it take to go from Corel Draw vectored image to do that. ?

Avoid clipping masks and gradients if you are designing for an embroidery pattern. I can simulated gradients ok with verigated thread, but as far as the software goes, gradients confuses the hell out of it. So it's best to go to basic colors.

The easiest way to design for embroidery (there are others) is act as if you are designing for die-cut vinyl. As if a GX-24 was going to cut it out. It's wireframe dependant I guess is what I'm trying to say. I can take the same design and run it through my GX and do a vinyl heat transfer for shirts if I wanted.

Then save it as an EPS 3 with text converted to curves (outlines) and then it get's run through the digitizing software. Some tweaks here and there, stitch added and/or removed and there you go (over simplification).

WildWestDesigns

For those that wanted a more detail view, I have emailed that to everyone that PM'ed me about it.

I've got a tote in the works now. Not that big (hoop wouldn't have fit in the tote), but it is a 1.5 hr stitch time. Only 5 threads though. Another one that I had designed from scratch. I'll post that one up here when that get's done.