• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First "Big" Vinyl Printed Sign

jharler

So I just wrapped up my first "big" vinyl sign today. I have a Roland SP-300v, so I have a maximum vinyl capacity of 30" and these signs are 28" x 44". I can't go wider with my machine.

I've attached a couple photos and the proof that I sent the customer. I'm hoping to deliver it today so she can use it tomorrow. I've never laminated anything this big before with my manual cold laminator, but fortunately that went smoothly. I also used the laminator to apply the laminated vinyl to the maxmetal backer. These are double-sided, so two double-sided panels. It was stressful, but other than a few stray hairs that found their way under the vinyl, I think they turned out great.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• ProofPost.jpg
    ProofPost.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 20220819_142801.jpg
    20220819_142801.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 324
  • 20220819_142736.jpg
    20220819_142736.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 337

jharler

I'm very pleased with the quality I get out of this printer, especially considering how old it is. This particular print was done at 720x720.

I know I could go bigger with seams. I haven't tried that yet though. I'm thinking of doing a wall print for behind the printer as a way to experiment with that. Just need to find time to design something for myself now...

Moojo

So I just wrapped up my first "big" vinyl sign today. I have a Roland SP-300v, so I have a maximum vinyl capacity of 30" and these signs are 28" x 44". I can't go wider with my machine.

I've attached a couple photos and the proof that I sent the customer. I'm hoping to deliver it today so she can use it tomorrow. I've never laminated anything this big before with my manual cold laminator, but fortunately that went smoothly. I also used the laminator to apply the laminated vinyl to the maxmetal backer. These are double-sided, so two double-sided panels. It was stressful, but other than a few stray hairs that found their way under the vinyl, I think they turned out great.

Comments and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks for looking!
Great job! Great resolution!

garyroy

It's funny how forum members with brand new Epson's and brand new HP's are all posting problems, and JHarler is printing, like me,
with a machine that's probably 10 or 12 years old, a Roland SP-300 and the machine just keeps on ticking.
Even the newer Rolands seem to have so many problems... But the old machines run and run, Good stuff for sure. Have fun.

IsItFasst

Looks great! For the hair issue, I use a "Swiffer duster" to minimize particles that get under the laminate. My first print machine was a SP-300v that I bought over 12 years ago (used) and it is still going strong today. I supplemented it with a VS-300i a few years ago. These old Rolands are great but the horror stories I have heard about new ones makes me weary of the brand these days.

ikarasu

Keep in mind when the sp-300 came out the internet / forums weren't as common... So hearing about problems with them also wasnt as common.

Not to say they weren't better than the newer printers are - but just because you see a dozen post a out a printer being bad (out of thousands being sold) don't discount the printer. Newer ones are nice! So I wouldn't be afraid of upgrading to one.

Better speed, quality, etc. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hold onto what you have until you need something else.

jharler

My SP-300v has been pretty great. I did have to replace some parts (the flat carriage cable and the pinch rollers), but overall the hardware has been fine. It's learning the nuances regarding settings with various materials and figuring out weeding, laminating and applying techniques that has been tricky.

As far as the hair caught under the vinyl, I had my handy swiffer duster right next to me and I even used it several times during the application of the vinyl. Unfortunately I'm working from my home office and the only space I had to apply the vinyl to the board was on my carpeted floor.

jharler

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have one of those and used it on the vinyl before I laminated. I didn't use it on the maxmetal though. Obviously, I should have!

I have a nice big work table that's about 6' x 3' that I do most of my work on and it's where I use the laminator most of the time. I probably could have re-arranged things to send the maxmetal sheets through it, but the 4-5 feet of clearance I needed on either side would have been really tight.

Albert Cyrus

First, go to Amazon and buy this ^. Then get off the floor. Even a folding table would be better than working on a carpeted floor.
If the link doesn't work its called

EHDIS Rubber Paint Roller Glue Pasting Roller Durable Glue Rollers for Crafting, Glue Roller Paint Brush for Anti Skid Tape Construction, Printmaking, Stamping Gluing, Ink Tools 12-inch​

Hey cool! Tell me how this works. Does it remove lint and junk?

jharler

The roller is really sticky and when you roll it over something, anything loose like dust or hair sticks to it. You rinse it off with water, let it dry and it's as good as new.

I tend to use my swiffer duster more often because the roller is tedious to use. It will grip and lift your material as it rolls if you aren't holding it down and it doesn't take long for it to lose stickiness and need rinsed again.