• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First LCD TV, Few questions

J

john1

Alright so i bought a 42" 120 refresh rate lcd tv tonight and i have some issues.

I have HDMI cables and noticed my xbox doesn't have a HDMI port so can i buy an adapter for that?

I play alot of games and i have noticed if you move in a game the entire screen is a tad blurry until you stop movement then it clears right up. This happens while watching movies and tv also. Would doing it in HDMI fix this?

Thanks!

Replicator

Answer - before reading the question !

Take it back . . . the more you move to the side of the room, the more hazy the picture becomes.

Unlike a Plasma, which never loses picture quality !

You are describing motion blur, john1. LCDs are much more susceptible to this than plasmas. Sometimes you can help the situation by turning off image-enhancement settings.

If you are just playing games and watching movies and sports, you would probably be happier with a plasma. If you use the tv as a monitor or use it to connect to the internet, you'd better stick with an LCD.

mikey-Oh

i opted for plasma, so i'm not sure... though i do know amazon has hdmi cables for 1/3 of the price of bestBuy/walmart/target/whereves

Locals Find!

That is caused by a lag in your refresh rate. If your seeing that. Then its not refreshing at the 120 rate. I would say take it back. I have noticed this on a lot of the lower end models from all the manufacturers. Not saying what you bought was low end because, I just don't know. However, at 120 refresh rate that shouldn't be happening.

signmeup

My lcd tv has a 60hz refresh rate and I've never seen motion blur in games or movies on it. I has a 5ms reponce time. Google it... it could be your problem.

Colin

The higher refresh rates (240) on LCDs don't actually make hardly any different according to the tests/reviews. A year ago I got a Plasma after a bunch of research. They have an equivilent refresh rate of 600hz, and Panasonics are rated at or near the top.

So many are drawn to the "thinness" of some of the new LCDs, but unless you really need that for a wall mount scenerio, who cares?

The plasmas do draw a little more power, but not as much as the older ones.

The plasmas also have a more natural look.

J

john1

Fixed it! My girlfriend actually was fooling with some plugs and finally got the resolution changed from 480 to 720 and it's beautiful and has no motion blur.

Thanks guys

tintguy31794

lol Pat,

----
I've done so much researching on t.v's and I've figured out that its near impossible to know what your getting before you buy unless you have a friend with it or can see it on display. I've bought a few lcd t.v.'s and I've taken them back. I just couldn't see watching t.v. on it vs my old t.v. being worth the 1200 I spent.

Glad you figured yours out. I've spent more money on computer monitors than I guess I ever will on a t.v. (dual 28")

J

john1

My girlfriend works with me on everything. I really appreciate having support on any aspect i may need help with. Lifes too short to care if a women can do something better than a man or vice versa