• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First "real" banner

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I needed something quick for a trade show this weekend. It goes behind a 4' x 4' floor display and it will eventually hang in our booth at a craft mall. I've done a few things with Photoshop for our brochure, but this one was a little more fun...even throughout the initial learning curve of layer masks, etc... (I just downloaded CS5 this weekend).

Overall measurements 46" x 72". Our contact information is on some of our other marketing materials (and is also engraved on stones) on the floor display.

JB

Attachments

• JB1.jpg
    JB1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 45

Dentafrice

Looks good for your first time with CS5 :) Really showcases what you do.

I'm not a fan of the placement of your text up the side.. I would have place it horizontal at the bottom.

Really nice though :)

James Burke

I'm not a fan of the placement of your text up the side.. I would have place it horizontal at the bottom. Really nice though :)

There will be stones on the floor display and would obscure text along the bottom. And I figured if I placed it across the top, it would only garner a quick glance.

So I went out on a limb and placed along the side in hopes that it would warrant a second look as the viewer's eye is lead down through the stones...and then back up the right side again.

I was also shooting for a little bit of an informal look since I'm in the top photo in jeans and a sweatshirt....you know....the workin' class type.

JB

James Burke

Here's the same photo with a black border around it to set it off from the web page background. Border will not appear on the banner.

Again, my intention is to lead the viewer's eye from top to bottom, and then back up again as they read the text...and then back down through the stones in a counter clockwise manner.

BTW...that new "Scrubby Zoom" in CS5 is way too cool.

JB

Attachments

• JB2.jpg
    JB2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Mainframe

Copy the text and paste it behind your text, then ad a white stroke to it to "punch" your text to give it a cleaner edge for better readability.

James Burke

Copy the text and paste it behind your text, then ad a white stroke to it to "punch" your text to give it a cleaner edge for better readability.

I had thought of that earlier, but don't know how to do it PS. I'll try it in Illy and post it to see what you think.

JB

James Burke

Here it is with the white outline around the text. It's definitely easier to read, for sure.

Mainframe, thank's for pushing the issue.

JB

Attachments

• 958.jpg
    958.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 35

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How about adding a filled background layer to tie all the floating objects together and eliminate the odd shaped white gaps.
Maybe a stone texture that has been partially desaturated or faded so as to not add clutter but still bring it all together.

Now if you really want to stand out - carve the banner out of a single slab of stone.
Would be a little hard to grommet and hang but the impact would be huge.....

wayne k
guam usa

James Burke

How about adding a filled background layer to tie all the floating objects together and eliminate the odd shaped white gaps.
Maybe a stone texture that has been partially desaturated or faded so as to not add clutter but still bring it all together.

Now if you really want to stand out - carve the banner out of a single slab of stone.
Would be a little hard to grommet and hang but the impact would be huge.....

wayne k
guam usa

That was also another thought....I'll try to figure that out. As for the real stone....no-can-do!

Thanks guys.

ProWraps

Stone is all I do. That's why I tend to be a little handicapped when it comes to general sign layout and color theory.

JB

heh, that must make for easy sales conversations:

"So our options for substrates are, rock and rock. And we offer two colors. Grey and grey".

:clapping:

Dentafrice

I think most people's view is going to follow the pink line I attached rather than all the way down the left side and up the right.

When their eyes finally get to the orange, they'll have to cock their head sideways to read up..

So you'e got a 50/50 chance of the user that read all the way down to the bottom exerting that last bit of effort in reading up.

just my $0.02. Def. looks better with the stroke! The white IS odd though like another said.

Attachments

• View.jpg
    View.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55

James Burke

Here it is with a 50% gray background with a canvas texture. The texture most likely won't show up in this photo, though...but its there. I'm going to tweak the opacity a little bit because it still seems way too dark.

JB

Attachments

• Jarsa & Company Banner 11-20-11 1005 Textrued.jpg
    Jarsa & Company Banner 11-20-11 1005 Textrued.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 58

James Burke

heh, that must make for easy sales conversations:

"So our options for substrates are, rock and rock. And we offer two colors. Grey and grey".

:clapping:

Rock or rock...that's a given for most jobs. Gray isn't the only color as you can see. We also do fundraiser bricks, limestone address blocks and such.

We've seen an unusual interest in the natural boulder headstones, though.

JB

James Burke

I think most people's view is going to follow the pink line I attached rather than all the way down the left side and up the right.

When their eyes finally get to the orange, they'll have to cock their head sideways to read up.

Yep...by the left side, I meant the stones as opposed to the text. I kinda like the zig zag effect.

JB

James Burke

Whew...I'm lookin' to wrap this up...way too much time horsin' around, but I think it's about where I want it.

Wow...looking back at my first post...it really looked plain and crappy. Thank you for all the input.

JB

Attachments

• JB4X.jpg
    JB4X.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 35