• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time using knifeless tape

Basko

Hi all, after some advice on knifeless tape. What would be best for doing some long lines (full length of car) and some curves (nothing too tight). I'm wrapping the lower half of a rally car and want to cut parts away to create striping. Is there any particular type that is good as an all rounder? Thanks in advance.

ExecuPrintGS

finish line or design line are the 2 we stock regularly.
Practice snapping the line out a few times on scraps before you go live. I see a lot of people struggle to snap the line until they get the hang of it.

Ultimate13

We use both the 1/4" and 1/8". After doing layouts with painters fineline tape for years on paint jobs we use it the same way. 1/4" for longer lines or sweeping curves, and the 1/8" for tight turns.

joelswork

I just started using the stuff too and wasn't impressed with the cuts I was getting. Then I stared making the cut, hitting it with heat to get the fuzziness out and then pressing it down. Looks awesome now!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
You can break the design line filament by hand, it will stretch and turn tighter corners as compared to Finish line. Always check a companies website for the straight scoop. Also, they have informational and instructional videos here.

They are awesome products and the more you get used to it the more uses you will find for it.

knucklehead

I have found, that if you make a tiny incision in the vinyl, maybe 1/4 inch, right where the tape/filament starts under the vinyl, it seems to be a little more friendly to us amateurs. Be sure to leave enough to get a hold of. I wrap it around a bolt, or something. My .02.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
I have found, that if you make a tiny incision in the vinyl, maybe 1/4 inch, right where the tape/filament starts under the vinyl, it seems to be a little more friendly to us amateurs. Be sure to leave enough to get a hold of. I wrap it around a bolt, or something. My .02.

I always cut a slit in the tape as well and it splits the green tape as it cuts with the vinyl, but I may be doing it wrong. Do you guys split the green tape like me or pull the filament to one side to where it comes from under the green layer, without splitting the tape?

I haven't had any problems doing it this way but it sure is a pain to get both the vinyl and tape split and started.

Zx360

I always cut a slit in the tape as well and it splits the green tape as it cuts with the vinyl, but I may be doing it wrong. Do you guys split the green tape like me or pull the filament to one side to where it comes from under the green layer, without splitting the tape?

I haven't had any problems doing it this way but it sure is a pain to get both the vinyl and tape split and started.

Never pull the line outside of the tape. It is meant to cut the green tape in half if you are using any of the knifeless with the green tape. You shouldn't have to cut the line either to snap the line out. The best way to get it out is to fold it 180* on itself, hold it with one finger or thumb and give it a quick snap with the other hand. It takes some practice but it is the quickest and most efficient way to do it.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Never pull the line outside of the tape. It is meant to cut the green tape in half if you are using any of the knifeless with the green tape. You shouldn't have to cut the line either to snap the line out. The best way to get it out is to fold it 180* on itself, hold it with one finger or thumb and give it a quick snap with the other hand. It takes some practice but it is the quickest and most efficient way to do it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes so much sense. Thank you. :thumb: