• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flat Bed Cutter Recommendations

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We should make the differences between the X9 and other models more obvious--our bad.

The table size is the same as as the X7, but the X9 comes standard with 2 tool heads, a router head, and an Automatic Tool Changer (ATC) for the router. The additional heads and ATC greatly increase efficiency and productivity. Of course, if you don't need a router, the X7 is a better option.

Thanks for clarifying! Nice to see straight-forward transparent pricing on your site, better than having to go through aggressive sales reps just to find out what a machine is selling for.

greysquirrel

Also, the ability to control segments would be huge! Every RIP software has the option to control tiles, not sure why they overlooked this (especially given the lack of accuracy when cutting w/ segments) in GoProduce.
Aren’t your segments controlled by your table size? I’m not sure where I would ever need to control a segment. I have a 5x10 Colex with conveyer, we throw a full roll of graphics printed through onyx and it cuts beginning to end with zero interaction. I am using a Summa basket in the front end. It’s really quite simple to just let the unit.

ProColorGraphics

We should make the differences between the X9 and other models more obvious--our bad.

The table size is the same as as the X7, but the X9 comes standard with 2 tool heads, a router head, and an Automatic Tool Changer (ATC) for the router. The additional heads and ATC greatly increase efficiency and productivity. Of course, if you don't need a router, the X7 is a better option.
which router would you need to select to get the atc?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Aren’t your segments controlled by your table size? I’m not sure where I would ever need to control a segment. I have a 5x10 Colex with conveyer, we throw a full roll of graphics printed through onyx and it cuts beginning to end with zero interaction. I am using a Summa basket in the front end. It’s really quite simple to just let the unit.

If I had a 5x10 bed I wouldn't care about segments. The bed on the F1612 is 63" x 47" so a full sheet will usually be broken into 3 segments. Due to the fact that the cuts don't connect 100% from segment to segment, (especially when routing) being able to choose when and where it divides the panels would be very helpful in certain scenarios.

greysquirrel

If I had a 5x10 bed I wouldn't care about segments. The bed on the F1612 is 63" x 47" so a full sheet will usually be broken into 3 segments. Due to the fact that the cuts don't connect 100% from segment to segment, (especially when routing) being able to choose when and where it divides the panels would be very helpful in certain scenarios.
I can see that being an issue on the smaller table. I almost ordered that one...

johnny kelly

If you are on the fence of which used machine to purchase, here is all you need to do. Call each company and ask for tech support. Tell them you bought a machine that is 5 years old and ask them if they can help you run the machine. Colex will not, MultiCam will not, but, KONGSBERG will. Even though MultiCam is owned by KONGSBERG, they are still working on retraining their entire company.

I know this because I purchased a 5 year old MultiCam. I could not get service or help in any way. In fact, they spent loads of time convincing me not to buy a used machine because I wouldn't know the condition of the machine. They were terrible. A friend has a Colex and told me he can never get them on the phone and its a nightmare trying to get support even through email.

I purchased a 5 year old KONGSBERG from DEB equipment brokers. When I got the machine, there were loads of issues. The company I paid to install the machine did not do it correctly so I decided to call KONGSBERG directly.

LET ME JUST SAY, they are and have been so amazing to deal with. I have spent a few hours on the phone with them and they have solved my issues. I asked the techs why they help people who did not buy from them. they all have responded with the same answer. "doesn't matter, you bought our machine."

Most companies do not care about servicing their machines. They only want to sell machines.

Think about this. If you were to purchase a brand new machine for $150K. How valuable is that machine in 5 years? The answer is, will the manufacturer support the next owner? Most do not.

The new owner deserves the same training as the previous owner. Should they pay? Maybe. But if they don't have to pay, that's the best deal on the planet.

So ONLY buy from a company who will help the next owner of the machine and not try to deter them from buying from you. I think manufacturers who sell against their own customers cost themselves so much. If they supported the new owner, the previous owner will probably buy another a machine from them. That's 2 machines working for future parts and service instead of a really aggravated customer who will never buy from them again.

It makes your investment so much more valuable.

One last note. When I did not buy from KONGSBERG direct because it wasn't in my budget, my sales person Frank called me to thank me for my time and told me if I needed any help with my used machine, just call the 800 number and put in a request. If they didn't call back, to let him know and he would be happy to help any way he could.

Before he closed, he said thank you for buying a KONGSBERG, you wont be sorry.

That is the company you invest with.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Our Colex is just about 10 years old that we got used and Colex helps us out without issue...