• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed Printers..... The Cost of a Yard Sign?

Andy D

I will be at the shop tomorrow, if you're interested pm me and I will tell you the type.
They're a good company to work with, free deliveries with no minimum... but their
website is a disaster.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Really curious if somebody out there could shed a little light on cost of flatbed yard signs?

Would Qty 40 - 24 x 18's, single sided, full color, with the wire stakes included, be profitable at $1.80 per sign?

I was shocked to hear another local shop offered that price to a client.
There are several variables at play here, I see a lot of times a quotation like that but what they don't tell you is single color boilerplate type signage created via screen print and you must have 300-500 in your order. a 40 piece digitally printed 18x24 is in the market responsibly between $7 and $12 dollars per. of course the more you print the cheaper it is until the breakover where screen is more cost effective based on how many colors, time effort energy for registering each color and burning screens etc.
ON a digital flatbed you consider the cost of coro (+/-) $1 per 18x24, ink cost can range from .07- .45 per sqr ft. depending on platform and amount of ink used, the wire stake $1.50 to $3.00 per, Depreciated equipment + operator time, electricity you can see if anyone is doing that in a digital flatbed for that cost its a loosing proposition. in fact even a screen shop doing 40 at that price is not making anything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are several variables at play here, I see a lot of times a quotation like that but what they don't tell you is single color boilerplate type signage created via screen print and you must have 300-500 in your order. a 40 piece digitally printed 18x24 is in the market responsibly between $7 and $12 dollars per. of course the more you print the cheaper it is until the breakover where screen is more cost effective based on how many colors, time effort energy for registering each color and burning screens etc.
ON a digital flatbed you consider the cost of coro (+/-) $1 per 18x24, ink cost can range from .07- .45 per sqr ft. depending on platform and amount of ink used, the wire stake $1.50 to $3.00 per, Depreciated equipment + operator time, electricity you can see if anyone is doing that in a digital flatbed for that cost its a loosing proposition. in fact even a screen shop doing 40 at that price is not making anything.

Hahahaaa........ not sure where you get your information on pricing, but your numbers are way off. All three of your costs are kinda wonky, if ya ask me..... and I don't even buy wholesale, anymore.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't know about you, but our prisons are fighting an epidemic...
Not here - they cleared out the prison to make room for the real hardened criminals, i.e. the barbers trying to reopen & people barbequing at the beach in groups of 3 or more.......

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Hahahaaa........ not sure where you get your information on pricing, but your numbers are way off. All three of your costs are kinda wonky, if ya ask me..... and I don't even buy wholesale, anymore.
Sorry brother, they came off existing and current web sites of customers of mine, so they are accurate.. and FYI those are retail pricings, not wholesale.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry brother, they came off existing and current web sites of customers of mine, so they are accurate.. and FYI those are retail pricings, not wholesale.

Ahh...... no brother, I think you're misquoting yourself or your customers. You actually said the cost of operation. That is not retail. Those numbers are not retail, either.

Not creating a problem, but you can't quote both ends and have people figure out its somewhere in the middle. The numbers need to make sense and be in line with what the rest of the industry is paying at either end of the spectrum.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Not here - they cleared out the prison to make room for the real hardened criminals, i.e. the barbers trying to reopen & people barbequing at the beach in groups of 3 or more.......
That hair dresser who got locked up is from Dallas. She was flaunting around for weeks that she was going to open up and ignore the stay at home order. They kept citing her and telling her that salons can open up on Friday (today) She keeps saying she needs to feed her kids, but has a salon with 30 stylists in an upscale part of town. If you have 30 stylists your kids are not going hungry. Looked like she was just doing everything for the media attention. Someone started a Kickstarter and raised 500k for her. She shouldn't of gone to jail, but she was asking for it every step of the way.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
She shouldn't of gone to jail, but she was asking for it every step of the way.
I wouldn't expect 'victim shaming' from a Texas-based sign pro, you haven't been hanging around in Austin lately have you?

30+ stylists does sound like a little more than the typical mom and pop operation.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That hair dresser who got locked up is from Dallas. She was flaunting around for weeks that she was going to open up and ignore the stay at home order. They kept citing her and telling her that salons can open up on Friday (today) She keeps saying she needs to feed her kids, but has a salon with 30 stylists in an upscale part of town. If you have 30 stylists your kids are not going hungry. Looked like she was just doing everything for the media attention. Someone started a Kickstarter and raised 500k for her. She shouldn't of gone to jail, but she was asking for it every step of the way.
She deserved to go to jail. The rules are the rules. Even if you dont agree, you still have to follow them or we end up with a lawless society. You can properly fight to change them but until that happens do what you’re told. Why are her perceived rights above someone elses? What about people with health conditions that can die from this? Its entitled and selfish.

Troy Lesher

Merchant Member
Ahh...... no brother, I think you're misquoting yourself or your customers. You actually said the cost of operation. That is not retail. Those numbers are not retail, either.

Not creating a problem, but you can't quote both ends and have people figure out its somewhere in the middle. The numbers need to make sense and be in line with what the rest of the industry is paying at either end of the spectrum.

Snippets of CURRENT website pricing from affirmations customers and suppliers.... draw your own conclusions

Attachments

• coro pricing.jpg
    coro pricing.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 192
  • price tool.jpg
    price tool.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 176
  • wire stakes.jpg
    wire stakes.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 191

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Snippets of CURRENT website pricing from affirmations customers and suppliers.... draw your own conclusions

Ahhh, not to bust your chops, but you originally said.... cost of operation. I corrected you and said those are NOT costs of operation and you insisted they were. Now, you return to say they are retail and show me retail numbers. Do you just like going in circles, until the other party gives up ?? It's hard to talk outta both sides of your mouth at once, but keep trying, you might master it.

And yes, they are now, more in line with retail costs for most shops. Some smaller shops, may not be able to produce some of those higher quantities, but it's food for thought, I guess.

brycesteiner

She deserved to go to jail. The rules are the rules. Even if you dont agree, you still have to follow them or we end up with a lawless society. You can properly fight to change them but until that happens do what you’re told. Why are her perceived rights above someone elses? What about people with health conditions that can die from this? Its entitled and selfish.

People with health conditions die everyday with other health conditions other than COVID. Why are you not being sympathetic to them? What is selfish and entitled is expecting everyone to do what you believe just because *name your reason*. The entire point of the Bill of Rights is you don't have to do what others believe no matter.

If you were concerned you would be proposing to ban vehicles. Cars kill thousands of people every day across this planet. Some are completely by accident and others are deliberate. The accidents are the ones, by your above statement, should be caring about and working to ban vehicles. You driving impaired or not puts people in great danger. These are real. We all know someone who died from car accidents, kids at bus stops, etc., but do we shut down the economy because of it? It happens everywhere yet nobody is saying "ban vehicles". Why?

Not only that but do you realize it happens everywhere. COVID-19 is pretty much only in the larger cities. Yet the small town farming communities have to follow these stupid rules. Well, not here. We've stayed open and stayed busy. In my location we don't really care. Our county motto is "No Compromise" since the state tried once before to come in and stop the people 130 years ago. Well it didn't go well for the state then. The authorities have already stated they won't stop the people as they think it's ridiculous too.

People are born and people die. My grandpa died, My great grandpa died, and his father died before that died, and so on. Acting like this is something new or out of the ordinary is just ridiculous. My choice will not effect people living or dying. They will all die. Personally, I would rather die with family and friends than live and be alone.

Notarealsignguy

People with health conditions die everyday with other health conditions other than COVID. Why are you not being sympathetic to them? What is selfish and entitled is expecting everyone to do what you believe just because *name your reason*. The entire point of the Bill of Rights is you don't have to do what others believe no matter.

If you were concerned you would be proposing to ban vehicles. Cars kill thousands of people every day across this planet. Some are completely by accident and others are deliberate. The accidents are the ones, by your above statement, should be caring about and working to ban vehicles. You driving impaired or not puts people in great danger. These are real. We all know someone who died from car accidents, kids at bus stops, etc., but do we shut down the economy because of it? It happens everywhere yet nobody is saying "ban vehicles". Why?

Not only that but do you realize it happens everywhere. COVID-19 is pretty much only in the larger cities. Yet the small town farming communities have to follow these stupid rules. Well, not here. We've stayed open and stayed busy. In my location we don't really care. Our county motto is "No Compromise" since the state tried once before to come in and stop the people 130 years ago. Well it didn't go well for the state then. The authorities have already stated they won't stop the people as they think it's ridiculous too.

People are born and people die. My grandpa died, My great grandpa died, and his father died before that died, and so on. Acting like this is something new or out of the ordinary is just ridiculous. My choice will not effect people living or dying. They will all die. Personally, I would rather die with family and friends than live and be alone.
I dont care about any of that. There was a rule passed and she chose to break it. Some people would like to kill people, should they be able to because people die everyday? There are rules that I dont like or agree with either but you follow them anyways cuz thats just how things work.
You do know that this lady made a big old poor me scene about going broke but had actually received PPP money and did not mention that to anyone? She played everyone and got govt cheese PLUS $500k in her poor me gofundme account.

brycesteiner

I dont care about any of that. There was a rule passed and she chose to break it. Some people would like to kill people, should they be able to because people die everyday? There are rules that I dont like or agree with either but you follow them anyways cuz thats just how things work.
You do know that this lady made a big old poor me scene about going broke but had actually received PPP money and did not mention that to anyone? She played everyone and got govt cheese PLUS $500k in her poor me gofundme account.

You clearly made the health the point of your post, so you did care about it, or just trying to gain sympathy votes for justification made for non-law rules. The problem is that people are trying to usurp other people's rights. You setup a straw man of saying it's okay to kill someone, but that's the point you violate someone else' rights.
As far as the lady from Texas goes, I don't care what she did or didn't do. I don't know anything about it other than hearing she was jailed.

Notarealsignguy

You clearly made the health the point of your post, so you did care about it, or just trying to gain sympathy votes for justification made for non-law rules. The problem is that people are trying to usurp other people's rights. You setup a straw man of saying it's okay to kill someone, but that's the point you violate someone else' rights.
As far as the lady from Texas goes, I don't care what she did or didn't do. I don't know anything about it other than hearing she was jailed.
In case you missed it, first sentence of my post:
<She deserved to go to jail. The rules are the rules. Even if you don't agree, you still have to follow them or we end up with a lawless society.>
My point was quite clear but you can twist it up and get angry over it all that you want. It does not change what I said.
The rule was made because of peoples health, whether you think its just or not doesn't matter. We live in a country of laws. If you don't like the rules, then vote to change them.

brycesteiner

In case you missed it, first sentence of my post:
<She deserved to go to jail. The rules are the rules. Even if you don't agree, you still have to follow them or we end up with a lawless society.>
My point was quite clear but you can twist it up and get angry over it all that you want. It does not change what I said.
The rule was made because of peoples health, whether you think its just or not doesn't matter. We live in a country of laws. If you don't like the rules, then vote to change them.
Not so. your second sentence was used to justify the faux rules that are being made up. How can you vote to change dictatorial rules that aren't written or voted on rules? The constitution was voted on - that is the rules. The governor's rules weren't voted on so how can you vote to change something that wasn't voted on to begin with????

player

You guys won't have to worry. The ones who ignore social distancing protocols will get the virus. Things will take care of themselves.

Notarealsignguy

Not so. your second sentence was used to justify the faux rules that are being made up. How can you vote to change dictatorial rules that aren't written or voted on rules? The constitution was voted on - that is the rules. The governor's rules weren't voted on so how can you vote to change something that wasn't voted on to begin with????
The governor was voted into office.
The rule was made.
The rule was broken.
The lady was punished for breaking the rule.
Pretty basic stuff here