• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed UV Suggestions

feckmo

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a flatbed UV to replace my Mimaki JFX200-2513. The JFX600 seems like the obvious choice, but I'm also getting quotes on an EFI PRO 30f and a swissQprint Oryx 4. I'd love some suggestions if there are other compelling machines I should be looking at this level.

Many thanks in advance!

ABA Visibility Products

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking at the SwissQPrint, a very fine machine I might add, I'd also suggest looking at the Digitech Tru Fire. Contact Patric at Digitech 210-545-6000 or Greg at Global Imaging, their distributor at 800-787-9801. A truly fantastic machine.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a flatbed UV to replace my Mimaki JFX200-2513. The JFX600 seems like the obvious choice, but I'm also getting quotes on an EFI PRO 30f and a swissQprint Oryx 4. I'd love some suggestions if there are other compelling machines I should be looking at this level.

Many thanks in advance!
Yeah I would check out the SwissQ if you have the budget its expensive but their Generation 4 Nyala looks real good. Recently saw that one at the ISA, Its got good speed. Would also recommend StratoJet Shark EFB for the price and quality I have one of their units for while now works great, the Ink adhesion way much better on my printer compared to the Mimaki JFX200 my Neighbour has.

parrott

A good starting point would be to know your budget and what markets your printing for. Lots of options out there and this could help narrow it down.

feckmo

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Budget is up to $250K or so. The quote I got on the swissQ is around $270K but that's their "budget" machine. :eek:

The EFI Pro 30F looks really, really good the more I read up on it. Stout build, oversize bed, fast, good output, good support. Seems like a more "refined" machine than the JFX600, but maybe it's just me. The problem is that it's pretty massive and I only have an 8' door into my building. Anyone know if they can be tilted in situations like this?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Budget is up to $250K or so. The quote I got on the swissQ is around $270K but that's their "budget" machine. :eek:

The EFI Pro 30F looks really, really good the more I read up on it. Stout build, oversize bed, fast, good output, good support. Seems like a more "refined" machine than the JFX600, but maybe it's just me. The problem is that it's pretty massive and I only have an 8' door into my building. Anyone know if they can be tilted in situations like this?
Dont fall for the marketing crap from EFI
"oversize bed" is smaller than other larger beds.
it's 3m x 2m, you cannot do much more on that vs the others.
For reference, most normal flatbeds are 1.2 x 2.4 meters. 90% of stock is that size.
IMO the most efficient large bed is the ones from Oce/Canon with a 2.5 x 3m. That can fit 2 1.2 x 2.4 sheets on it in tandem.
You can get larger beds from swissqprint like 3.2 x 2m and i think digitech is a similar size.

It would be more deal if you list what you're looking for specs wise.
What you're printing?
what speeds do you need?
budget?

brian waites

I work with flora, and at that budget you could get a 3 row machine running about a minute a 4x8 or better on a new mag lev carriage led cure machine and have money left over for a cutter or cnc.

ProColorGraphics

What are you looking to print? Do you want crazy speed or is your goal better quality? Do you need white/varnish?

I too would call a SwissQ my dream printer! But since that was out of my budget right now I looked at others. I ended up with the Epson V7000 as out of all of the print samples I got, to me it had the best print quality by far! I don't need to print at crazy speeds, so that wasn't a concern. I can still do a 4x8 under 10 minutes and still get very good quality. Which is more than fast enough as I'm a one man shop.

All of this to say, I would recommend checking out the Epson V7000. ;)

Superior_Adam

I have the EFI 24f and its a solid machine. The 30f is the newer version with the larger bed. Not sold on needing a larger bed as 98% of the substrates printing on is 4'x8'. We did beta testing with EFI and had the 24f before it was even announced. Had their first one ever out the door. been going strong for 3 years. Can print 4'x8' boards in POP mode in about 8 minutes.

parrott

Was in your same shoes a few years ago. I had roughly the same budget but ended up spending more as I felt is was much worth it. Looked at the same Swiss and are so glad I did not go that route. Unless you are buying their top of the line printer, the speed will bleed you dry. EFI is another company I am very glad I did not go with. The amount of BS and games they tried to play with me was unreal. Don’t know if I will ever entertain a quote from them again.

The most important thing you can do is get in front of all of these machines. Look at realistic speeds (not advertised) and make them print for a couple hours on that speed and count the amount of boards. Just because it can print fast, can the machine do it continuously? Do you have to stop in between each print, go to the computer and hit print, load and then unload? All of these things take time and will eat up your speed per hour.

Quality, color, adhesion and service are all the other things to be looking at. It’s a lot of homework and takes time but it is one of the most decisions your company will make. I have heard some horror stories about companies that about put them out of business. Know who you are partnering with and make sure they make you feel warm and fuzzy. It’s exciting but nerve racking!

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Hi All,

Many thanks in advance!
We can show you the Flora printer, an excellent product at a very attractive price point, we have several of them installed in NY State and can give you multiple references for you to call. We also have our demo unit that you can come see in Wharton NJ not too far from where Mimaki has their office, maybe10 minutes away. So come see the Mimaki and then the Flora and you can decide which gives you the best bang for the buck. If you don't want to make the trip we can also do remote demonstrations for you over the web. Another option is we are going to be displaying the printer at the Graphics Pro Show in Secaucus NJ July 21 and 22nd and you might want to come see it there.

Thank You

Dave Philipps

Graphic Resource Systems LLC
105 W Dewey Ave Building C Suite 18
Wharton NJ 07885

dphilipps@thegrs.com
http://www.thegrs.com
Shop Online: http://www.thegrs.com/shop
See us on: Facebook
Phone 973-808-8600 ext 112
Fax 973-808-9388

parrott

Yes, not sure if johnny has been in front of these machines. Unless you either own or have demo’d these machines your input is pretty much irrelevant. Real world experience is much more reliable than some dude that has watched YouTube videos or “knows somebody that has one.”

parrott

I know I am a Digitech fanboy, but I honestly don’t think there is anybody out there that can match their quality, speed and reliability. We have run 3 pass (50 seconds a board) all day every single day for almost 2 years without a single issue. That blows my mind. Maybe we are lucky, but talking to other users that seems to be the norm.

feckmo

Thanks so much for all the input! Digitech was not on my radar, but I'll put them there now and call on Monday. Vanguard as well. It would be easier to just get the Mimaki since it's a known commodity, but due diligence seems wise when spending this kind of coin. ;)

That said, I keep coming back to the EFI PRO 30f. Speed is important, but it is not the most important thing. I print thicker stuff -- I have my own custom cornhole board design that I produce using a combo of CNC and laser cutting -- and the ability to print *assembled* boards is really compelling to me. It would allow me to streamline my process by a couple steps and allow batch production and finishing of blank boards that could then be printed and clear-coated at the end. Seems that only the PRO 30f has this large capacity. Is that right? Not sure if the larger bed would be helpful, but I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I wished the bed was *smaller* on the JFX200. For that I have a UJF-7151 anyway.

parrott -- what was the issue you had with EFI? Was it EFI themselves, or a reseller? My understanding is that they do not sell direct. I have been talking to ITNH myself.

If I was going to rank my criteria, I think the order of importance is:

1) Print quality
2) Print capacity (both bed size and gantry height)
3) Reliability
4) Support
5) Cost
6) Speed

Anyway, thanks again for all the info. Much food for thought!

--Jim.