• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexCut Weirdness

rjssigns

Model: Summa D140R
Software: FlexiSign Pro 12.x
Issue: During FlexCut plotter cuts roughly 2/3rd of the job, stops then screen on plotter shows Panel 1. Otherwise FlexCut works well.
1) Size of job makes no difference. 10 pieces or 50 it does the exact same thing.
A) FlexCut on or off at plotter - no change
B) Panels on or off at plotter - no change
C) Panels not selected in Flexi.
2) Mode
D) Using gray swatch PerfCut initially. Though it may be the issue. Nope.
E) Selecting CutContour then adding FlexCut attributes - no change

Regular kiss cut works perfectly.

Ready to sell it and get something that will work.

Saturn

Aging Member
I can't help with the FlexCut issue, but depending on what you are cutting, have you tried just using a deep regular/kisscut for everything?

I do a few rolls a week of laminated calendared stuff using just 2 passes of the "regular" cut and it's way faster and cleaner and less fussy than the few times I tried FlexCut years ago.

If you're cutting really large stickers, or using a heavy material, FlexCut could still be a good option, but I have little issue with just using the regular cut on 2-25 sq. in. things.

rjssigns

I can't help with the FlexCut issue, but depending on what you are cutting, have you tried just using a deep regular/kisscut for everything?

I do a few rolls a week of laminated calendared stuff using just 2 passes of the "regular" cut and it's way faster and cleaner and less fussy than the few times I tried FlexCut years ago.

If you're cutting really large stickers, or using a heavy material, FlexCut could still be a good option, but I have little issue with just using the regular cut on 2-25 sq. in. things.
Hmmm....didn't really think about two kiss cuts. Please enlighten me on your process. While we may run different material it will give me some insight on the process. Currently running Arlon SLX+/3220 combo.

BTW nothing fancy for cuts. All industrial labeling so squares and rectangles.

Saturn

Aging Member
Yeah I live and die by how well my Summa cuts, and it cuts great this way. Been doing it this way for a few years now. **I AM using a tangential and don't have experience on a drag knife, so I'm only halfway confident this info translates over.**

I use GF-203, and Substance 3150 laminate.

Each RIP might be a little different in how you get to doing 2 cuts immediately one on top of the other, but I usually impose all my sheets/jobs by hand in Illustrator with two cut lines stacked. Gotta be careful you know how layering and the order of cuts works, but it's fast and simple once you've done it 100 times.

As for the actual cutting, it's basically just a deep and heavy kisscut. So use your common sense and slowly edge things a little heavier on some sample jobs until you get there. I think the key is making sure you're not too far over heavy/deep, and that the blade tip stays not just sharp, but the tip is intact—No chipping. Once it chips even the tiniest bit that's it. I do 8-12 rolls of 30" stuff a month and get 3-6 weeks per blade. I used to swear by OEM 45° blades, but have been using 36° to do everything lately and they've been amazing (knock wood), which runs counterintuitive to popular opinion. The shallower angle is probably only an option for (relatively) thin material combos.

Depending how smooth and without corners you build your cut lines, it should be way faster and cleaner than FlexCuts by a HUGE margin. The only disadvantage might be that you lose an easy way to have 2 distinct cuts going at once in a job—kiss and flex—set at different depths. etc. I don't really mess with what I'd call "sticker sheets" atm, so it's not a biggie for me, and I don't like not being able to tweak pressure after the fact anyway.

You can even get away with one pass on some materials if you're getting good results and/or not picky. A lot depends on having that good condition blade and the way the backing paper cuts. Not all backing paper is created equal....

rjssigns

Yeah I live and die by how well my Summa cuts, and it cuts great this way. Been doing it this way for a few years now. **I AM using a tangential and don't have experience on a drag knife, so I'm only halfway confident this info translates over.**

I use GF-203, and Substance 3150 laminate.

Each RIP might be a little different in how you get to doing 2 cuts immediately one on top of the other, but I usually impose all my sheets/jobs by hand in Illustrator with two cut lines stacked. Gotta be careful you know how layering and the order of cuts works, but it's fast and simple once you've done it 100 times.

As for the actual cutting, it's basically just a deep and heavy kisscut. So use your common sense and slowly edge things a little heavier on some sample jobs until you get there. I think the key is making sure you're not too far over heavy/deep, and that the blade tip stays not just sharp, but the tip is intact—No chipping. Once it chips even the tiniest bit that's it. I do 8-12 rolls of 30" stuff a month and get 3-6 weeks per blade. I used to swear by OEM 45° blades, but have been using 36° to do everything lately and they've been amazing (knock wood), which runs counterintuitive to popular opinion. The shallower angle is probably only an option for (relatively) thin material combos.

Depending how smooth and without corners you build your cut lines, it should be way faster and cleaner than FlexCuts by a HUGE margin. The only disadvantage might be that you lose an easy way to have 2 distinct cuts going at once in a job—kiss and flex—set at different depths. etc. I don't really mess with what I'd call "sticker sheets" atm, so it's not a biggie for me, and I don't like not being able to tweak pressure after the fact anyway.

You can even get away with one pass on some materials if you're getting good results and/or not picky. A lot depends on having that good condition blade and the way the backing paper cuts. Not all backing paper is created equal....
Nice, thank you for the information. IIRC if I make too wide of a Cutcontour line in Illustrator it will double cut.(learned that by accident) But I'm going to look into the options in Flexi. Pretty sure there's an option to set number of cuts.
Running CleanCut blades as a test right now and so far I'm pleased with their performance. I have 45 and 60 degree in stock.

Saturn

Aging Member
Yup, I think Flexi allows you to just toggle or enter multiple hits of the cut, which is great. I don't think Onyx does...

Saturn

Aging Member
If you get frustrated, definitely try some 36° blades.

Also, today is the last day (7/29) to get a S2 tangential for the price of a drag knife model at Airmark.... Just saying! They do a sale like this once, twice a year, but even the 30" model is substantially marked down.