• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 10-10.5 Pro Discontinued

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I understand that it is a perception vs reality issue 100%.
I would be more understanding if software companies like SAI said when you purchase a software program that it will be supported for X number of years then it would stop working or no longer supported, instead of waiting for the server to die and than say we have just stopped supporting Version X.
But in a case like this, to not even have access to the program with no notice, in my opinion is crazy.
But that is how business is conducted these days.
They are holding the users of v10 hostage if they saved all of their designs in FS format only.
Where should I draw the line where I should not be upset that my program has stopped working with no notice, after 1 year, 2 years, 10 years?
What if it was your accounting program and the same thing happened?

WildWestDesigns

I understand that it is a perception vs reality issue 100%.
I would be more understanding if software companies like SAI said when you purchase a software program that it will be supported for X number of years then it would stop working or no longer supported, instead of waiting for the server to die and than say we have just stopped supporting Version X.

Typically, at least from what I've seen, it's not done in terms of years, but in terms of generations of software. X, X-1 (no not the OTR show), X-2 etc.

Some, only support the current, some only 1 generation back (X-1). Some do up to 3 generations back. Depending on their release cycle, that could be a very long time or a blink of an eye (considering Adobe programs and even Corel programs seem to be on the yearly release, not long at all), relatively speaking.

But in a case like this, to not even have access to the program with no notice, in my opinion is crazy.

In my mind, it depends on how old it is in terms of generations. I'm not familiar with Flexi numbering schema, just based on speculation, I would say that it's 2 generations back. That's a grey area for sure.

They are holding the users of v10 hostage if they saved all of their designs in FS format only.

Well, all closed source proprietary programs have vendor lock in if you only save and use in their native proprietary formats. Typically why I suggest having two versions, one that is more open (or at least more widely accepted by many programs) and one that is your proprietary format.

Otherwise, you tend to have this issue no matter what.

In fact, let's say that you have some files that are ver 9 and the current version doesn't import 9 at all? No bueno for those old files, even if you are still using their software. This can actually be an issue in open source as well depending on if there were fundamental changes to a particular toolset from one generation to the next.

Where should I draw the line where I should not be upset that my program has stopped working with no notice, after 1 year, 2 years, 10 years?

Again, I do believe it's based on version generations, which I think would be better then years. The latest release cycle of my embroidery software was 5 yrs. Imagine if the EOL was based on yrs. It's quite possible that the latest version could have gone EOL before a new one was released.

What if it was your accounting program and the same thing happened?

I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes being "risk adverse" really comes into play and I always try to have as good of a backup plan that I can have. None of my admin programs are closed source, period. Some I've created some of it myself, others, I use open source (sometimes a combination of the 2). More production programs, I use a legit licensed version for as long as I can (even in VMs), but if there is ever something that prevents me from using them, I have a fall back. Not necessarily 1:1 fall back all the time, but it's something that I can still use. That's why I also try to have file formats that are as close to parity as I can get with the proprietary version, but are more widely accepted among different programs.

Again, bare in mind, I'm not saying that I like this situation at all. It's just the situation we have until something changes that forces change on how closed source software vendors do things.

AF

The software vendors have focused too much on protecting themselves at the expense of their paying customers. Activation, license servers, dongles, etc. offer nothing to the user and can in some instances cause huge problems to the user.

The situation with Flexi smells like a dishonest attempt to force people to pay twice for working software. If they would give you warning that the end is coming rather than simply shut everyone down, at the very least a business could plan ahead even though the motive behind the change is foul.

WildWestDesigns

The software vendors have focused too much on protecting themselves at the expense of their paying customers. Activation, license servers, dongles, etc. offer nothing to the user and can in some instances cause huge problems to the user.

No doubt. I agree with that. However, knowing that it still needed activation or used a dongle etc and one still bought the software, these are issues that aren't beyond the realm of possibility (obviously).

Then, of course, you had users that were dealing or using cracked software even when there were lax activation needs (as in just a serial number, but no online activation and no stipulation to how many times could activate it). So there were some users that brought this on about for everyone. That's why I don't advocate cracked software no matter what one's individual reasons for going that route are.

The natural progression of this is not just subscription based, but also full blown web only SaaS programs. And a lot of people are going into this with open arms, even some in this forum.

The situation with Flexi smells like a dishonest attempt to force people to pay twice for working software.

There has always been a motive to get people to upgrade. That's how they are going to make money and have their business survive. Now that most of y'all are dealing with Windows 10 (due to the rolling release perpetual beta state of Win 10 and still actually having production computers on a WAN), I can actually see that being accelerated, unless y'all do other things to mitigate that, hopefully above board.

If they would give you warning that the end is coming rather than simply shut everyone down, at the very least a business could plan ahead even though the motive behind the change is foul.

I would say that it's far better that once you make a purchase that you start a rainy day plan/fund for that purchase.

I do agree with you that they should have notified even if it was right after it happened, they should have initiated that contact and let people know that there server went down and they weren't going to fix the server for legacy software. Here are the options that they offer to help people migrate.

Having said that, again, I do believe that any business that purchases something should also plan for a backup as well, just in case. I personally don't like relying on other people for the stability of tools (either software or hardware) when they are the mainstay of my business.

And if we don't like this, imagine when our apps are more web based and/or subscription based only? I believe that they would have far less sympathy for changes like that and imagine if you are saving in proprietary file formats.

cwb143

Amen Brother! No warning or nothing. I guess you could say well it was great while it lasted. Now I can't even get through their phones for them to take my money. Must be the whole country calling them now. I tip my hat to a pretty good extortion plan on their part.