• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 22 and missing HP Latex 335 Driver

avargo

In September I started receiving a message "Unable to communicate with the printer." At the time I was using an older version of Flexi so when I called support, I was informed that I would need to upgrade to Flexi 22. (BTW - printer is HP Latex 335). So I did the upgrade, with the same result. Spent 1 month going back and forth with support only to configure a work-around using an ethernet cable via a usb adapter directly to the printer and a separate ethernet cable to the internet. The only problem is that the printer would only print if I disconnected the 2nd ethernet cable but then to perform a cut I would have to reconnect the 2nd cable which gave me internet access. It was annoying but it worked - until Thursday this past week. Now the computer-to-printer does not communicate at all. I have tried new cables, different computers, uninstalling and reinstalling. On the latest reinstall (which happened to be with a new computer), I noticed that the HP Latex 335 print driver is not listed on the Windows printer device menu. Has anyone else encountered the same/similar issue?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So probably this whole thing happened because your network is not properly setup. You do that and most likely all your problems go away permanently.

You don't need to see the driver in windows. It's just one way to submit jobs to flexi but in no way it's necessary.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
You are having an IP problem. You need to find someone who understands routers and they will fix your issue in about 3 minutes.

Salagra

Hello,
Year ago we had same issue with Flexi and was suggested to run a separate network as well. We tried that for a short period of time, but figured out that was not necessary. It was definitely and IP issue. as stated above. We also reverted back to older version of Flexi because we had numerous problems with the subscription.

avargo

Thank you for the responses. I work in a Trade school for High School students which means our internet system is filtered and secured. However, our lead networking IT official has been involved and has spent numerous hours with SAI. He assures me the network is not the issue. What baffles me is that everything has been working fine since we moved into our new building 2+ years ago... until September and I was running Flexi 19 at the time. I can't figure out what changed. IT is going to attempt to reinstall Flexi 19 to see if that helps. It is also confusing that I can ping the printer; I can search and find the printer during setup; I can locate the printer with the web page interface. But when I print, I receive the message "Failed to communicate; Failed to read media table." Could it be the printer network card? But that doesn't make sense to me since the connection works with the web interface.

avargo

Hello,
Year ago we had same issue with Flexi and was suggested to run a separate network as well. We tried that for a short period of time, but figured out that was not necessary. It was definitely and IP issue. as stated above. We also reverted back to older version of Flexi because we had numerous problems with the subscription.
Thank you for responding. When I spoke with SAI I asked if others were experiencing the same issue they said no but I was skeptical. Are you still using Flexi? As unreliable as this has been, I am considering a different option. But Flexi seems to be one of the easier packages for students to use to adjust from Adobe Illustrator to perform a RIP and to apply a cut. But I am open to suggestions.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Then with these details it could be flexi with a broken substrate database as well. I haven't found out any other way to fix it than re-installing.
Also it should be run as admin and no antivirus/firewall to mess it up.

But those crazy usb network setups that you had going on definitely point towards network issues rather than anything else. Capable IT guy should have zero problems settings it up working perfectly.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Then with these details it could be flexi with a broken substrate database as well. I haven't found out any other way to fix it than re-installing.
Also it should be run as admin and no antivirus/firewall to mess it up.

But those crazy usb network setups that you had going on definitely point towards network issues rather than anything else. Capable IT guy should have zero problems settings it up working perfectly.

If the substrate database is messed up in Flexi, close Flexi and Production Manager. Then delete anything related to that HP printer from the DriverSettings folder shown below. Then go into the ICCProfile Folder and delete any profiles for that HP printer. Once you open Production manager again it will recreate the substrate database from the printer.

Recreate HP Substrate Library.png

Recreate HP Substrate Library 1.png

As for the original issue the OP posted about. In the original configuration, before you put the secondary ethernet in, was the HP on the same IP Range as the normal computer network? Flexi needs to communicate to the printer on ports that might be being blocked by the firewall on the computer or on the corporate network.

But when I print, I receive the message "Failed to communicate; Failed to read media table."
If you can ping the printer and get on it's embedded web server, then this message is leading me to think that some communication to or from the printer is being blocked by a firewall.

Another cause could be a corrupt substrate on the printer itself. Did you install any new substrates on the printer just before the issues started?

avargo

Update. IT came and installed Onyx just to verify printer equipment and we were successful in generating a print. Sounds like a definite issue with Flexisign. Looks like I will be shopping for a new print and cut software. I liked having the design option with the RIP and cut. SAI was also providing additional design seats for my students. I am open to hearing any RIP and cut suggestions that would be student friendly.

Some security software applications can interfere with connectivity between the printer and RIP, specifically with things like media synchronizations between the RIP and printer. In my experience for example, Zscaler software needs to be disabled with Gen3 Latex printers and SAI Production Manager.