• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi 8.5 or versaworks/Mac 10.5 & 540 vp

Mainframe

Hello, I have been enjoying all the chatter about signs on here for a while, now I have a problem to solve for myself
Tomorrow I am getting a new vp 540 & I run os 10.5. I am currently beta testing Flexi 8.5 Pro for the mac on an old Roland cutter (which works quite nicely I must say) & I have to decide which program to use, now I have xp to load on my mac so I can use versaworks but I was hoping to use the flexi to run the machine, the printer dealer says flexi is notorious for laying too much ink out & plugs up the heads every 6 months. my questions are is this something that is widely known? has anyone heard of this problem? is anybody using flexi to run this machine? would it be worth trying flexi or should I just use versaworks? I would rather not load windows on if I don't have to. But I will do it if necessary. I design everything in illy cs2 then copy & paste into flexi, I am sure I will have to use a different system ie saving as an eps or pdf & opening in the rip- any thoughts out there?

cgsigns_jamie

I'm running an XC-540 with Flexi, I've even used the beta of 8.5 on my laptop, and it works fine. Just make sure you use the correct profile. If it's laying down too much ink you can adjust the profile and limit that.

I would recommend using VMWare Fusion if you decide to run Windows on your Mac. Boot Camp is just a pain, you'll constantly be restarting the computer during the day. My main design system is a MacPro and I run Mac and Windows side by side all day with zero issues. I have Parallel's on my MacBook Pro but I prefer Fusion. Either will get the job done though.

LittleSnakey

We have been using flexi 8.5 with our vp-540 and have no problems, I like sending directly from flexi rather than saving as an eps then opening that in versaworks. We use arlon vinyl and the profiles from their website and get very good results.

Mainframe

So here is what happened, my tech was sheepish about setting me up on flexi, especially a beta program, & I actually don't own pro, I am just testing it so it will run out of time at some point so anyway I bought a copy of xp & loaded it all went well & when the tech came he loaded in Versaworks & proceeded to get me going, there is a lot of things to digest the first day with the mchine so I am glad I went with the factory rip for now, I create everything in cs2 on the mac side & port it to the rip, I gotta say Versaworks is a nice program to run & the printer ROCKS!!! I got a call from a guy for a digital print while the tech was setting me up! I told him to bring the file down & we would do it next, so before the tech left I did a 42 dollar print, how cool is that, I already had 2 grand of work waiting for the machine & blasted it all off already. I think I will stay with versaworks for a while at this rate, I have more jobs to do & some more bid so I will cross my fingers- I just thought I should post what went on with the machine-kudos to the tech,Chris from Vinyl Sign Supply, he is good!