• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Can't Cut Corners Properly

untitled

I don't know if I am missing something or what is going on, but I can't seem to get good results cutting from Flexi at all. It doesn't matter if it's print and cut or just straight cutting vinyl, the corners when cutting from flexi are always messed up and the cutting looks messy in general. If I am just cutting vinyl I have resorted to just using Winplot instead because I can't seem to get flexi to cut properly. When cutting from Winplot the cuts are perfect.

So as you can see in the one picture that was print and cut, for some reason the boxes look as if they have horns. So like every one else I'm thinking the offset is wrong. It's not, and that is what the other picture is showing that the offset is set correctly. I've tried checking the box and setting the offset in production manager, I've tried having it unchecked and it being set on the cutter, doesn't matter, it does the same thing every time if cutting from Flexi.

I have also attached my settings from RIP and Print and Production Manager. What am I missing to make this cut properly?

HP Latex 700
Summa S140D
Flexi HP L700&800 Edition
Illustrator (whatever the current version is)

Not sure if there is any additional information that is needed.

Attachments

• Offset Test Cut.jpg
    Offset Test Cut.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 283
  • print&cut.jpg
    print&cut.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Production Manager.png
    Production Manager.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 160
  • RIP and Print.png
    RIP and Print.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 164

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Make it simple, disable everything in flexi that could alter the blade movement. Disable overcut, offset etc.
Then make sure your offset is set correctly in the cutter. Now any software you use will have the same output and it wont change unless you change it in the cutter.

Check that you are not missing any settings here. Also edit your default job settings to keep the settings.

1681991640509.png

untitled

Make it simple, disable everything in flexi that could alter the blade movement. Disable overcut, offset etc.
Then make sure your offset is set correctly in the cutter. Now any software you use will have the same output and it wont change unless you change it in the cutter.

Check that you are not missing any settings here. Also edit your default job settings to keep the settings.

View attachment 165033
I always set the offset on the cutter and not in the software. I think my screen shot I had it enabled just because I was trying all of these different settings. That is set in Production Manager, I will try disabling overcut and the other settings from the RIP and Print menus and see if that gets me anywhere.

Thanks for reply!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That looks very much like an improper offset setting to me. If you have it set to the proper number for your blade, you might be allowing too much or too little of the blade to poke out of the holder or the blade might be broken as well.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
They don’t last forever and make sure you’re not overriding pressure setting from your software. You can do it from the plotter or software…

untitled

Start by turning off OverCut. Your settings in the RIP & Printing have OverCut on and set to .1"
Ya for some reason I didn't even think twice about this. Usually everything I am cutting is larger and didn't become an issue really until I print/cut some smaller letters.
That looks very much like an improper offset setting to me. If you have it set to the proper number for your blade, you might be allowing too much or too little of the blade to poke out of the holder or the blade might be broken as well.
That's exactly what I was thinking and I think I spent too much time trying to troubleshoot the offset and was stuck on that. I tried increasing and decreasing the offset on the cutter way higher and lower to see what changes it made and see if it would come close to fixing it but it didn't. The blade amount sticking out is correct as I did check that and I did replace the blade just for fun to see if anything changed.
Have you tried a new blade?
They don’t last forever and make sure you’re not overriding pressure setting from your software. You can do it from the plotter or software…
New blade yes. The pressure setting was good, was cutting the vinyl the perfect amount, very light score mark on the backing. I did make some changes in the software and it wasn't getting over ridden by the cutter.
--
In the end I did end up disabling all of the settings from Flexi as balstestrat mentioned. Double checked the settings on the plotter were where I wanted them and sent to cut again and it then cut perfectly. In the end I think it was like Aaron said, way to much overcut. I am going to turn that back on by itself and do a test just to confirm that was the issue. If it wasn't then I am just going to turn them on one by one just to find out exactly what the cause was.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips! I was starting to get pretty frustrated with it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So what does overcut even do when working as intended?
works on outside corners - blade cuts past the turning point then starts the next leg past above the turning point to keep the corner from lifting or tearing instead of cutting. I've used it a few times, seems to help on some materials.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If the plotter cuts properly with Winplot and not with Flexi then there's nothing wrong with your plotter. I would suspect that Flexi has a lot of settings that it's sending to the plotter and the plotter is not setup to ignore them. You should set up your plotter such that it functions properly and then set it to ignore setup commands delivered by software.

Why in the name of Odin's nut sack is Flexi trying to set an over cut of 1/10 of an inch? That's quite large.

Joe House

Why in the name of Odin's nut sack is Flexi trying to set an over cut of 1/10 of an inch? That's quite large.

Customer has set this up. The default in Flexi is to "Cut Fast", I usually set the default to "None" and make all the settings happen from the plotter itself.

JBurton

Signtologist
works on outside corners - blade cuts past the turning point then starts the next leg past above the turning point to keep the corner from lifting or tearing instead of cutting. I've used it a few times, seems to help on some materials.
Overcut helps with weeding. My plotter always leaves it almost too short which is a pain for weeding.
Y'all are at odds with each other, I think?
I can imagine it at the start/end when the plotter isn't tracking properly, but am having a hard time imagining it on all 4 corners of a rectangle without making any given side angled, or does it track back to the corner then resume the cut path?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I can imagine it at the start/end when the plotter isn't tracking properly, but am having a hard time imagining it on all 4 corners of a rectangle without making any given side angled, or does it track back to the corner then resume the cut path?
It starts to cut twice but stops so that way it doesn't leave any boogers that are not cut all the way

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not sure:
1682385580330.png