• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexiDesigner 8.6 work with FlexiPro 8.0?

RJ California

I am considering getting FlexiDesigner for my laptop. This will be FlexiDesiner 8.6 since that is the only version they are selling now. At the shop I use FlexiPro 8.0 and I see no need to upgrade to 8.6 at the shop (FlexiDesigner is pricey enough without throwing in an upgrade for the shop computer!).

After several phone calls no one seems to know if the 8.6 files I create on my laptop will be backwards compatible with my 8.0 in the shop. Most seem to think so, but no guarantees. Seems like a simple question but it has had everyone stumped. I may have an answer tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone here knows.

Also-- can you save 8.6 files as 8.0 files if that becomes the only work around?

:thankyou:

Big House Signs

I think you are going to have save down. And make sure your color preferences are the same. We have two seats of Flexi 8.1 and what I desing on my computer if the preferences are not the same on the other it totally screws up the color.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No way to test compatibility with 8.0 but would say it would be unusual if it was compatible. Based on my FlexiPro 8.6 menu, you would be exporting as version 7.5 in order to open on your 8.0 workstation.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I went from 7.6 to 8.6 so I can't tell you except to say that the things I use it for seem pretty much the same. It's probably a bit more stable but I think most of the improvements have been on the production side rather than the design and vector editing side where I spend my time.

GARY CULY

on gerber omega //you can go "up" to the next version ..but to open and use on earlier version .a "save as.choose lower version" has to be done ....
you make sure to have ALL the same fonts on each computer sir .or when you open you get a box that wants to change fonts in the file...this is very annoying ...it can be fixed by selecting the whole file>tab convert to outlines first before save ...but it will upgroup everything in that "logo" or whatever...

now this is what aggrivates ...why cant it open a file even though the next computer dont have that font installed? the file has allready been created so flexi dont need access to that font,it isnt using the fonts in the computer to read what has been writen? so why does it want to swap fonts out? i have 8.1 and see no need to upgrade ,in everyday work it does what i need .EVERYTIME IVE UPGRADED in any program ive had at least a long day getting everything to work right again ..

ChristianSlager

It does work... we have a station with flexisign 8.0v2 (not pro) and a station with 8.6 pro and open the 8.6 files on the 8.0 machine all the time. Pre 8 versions will NOT open 8.x files tho.

LittleSnakey

the main differences are in the rip/print area. The 8.6 works much better with colors in my opinion. It also has send to versaworks button if you have a roland and prefer versaworks for rip/print. I still have problems ripping real big files with flexi and in those occasions I use versaworks.

GARY CULY

i am very glad to see this works! thanks for the help. ill now really concider a 8.6 flexi ..since 8.1 will open the files!