• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

flexie

verde

what is the best quality file to upload to flexie to insure that it is not blurry when blown up?
will not let me place a svg so really appreciate any input you would have thank you in advance.

tooler82

I usually always do EPS. If you have some SVG files you need, get a free program called Inkscape and save them as an EPS

AKwrapguy

what is the best quality file to upload to flexie to insure that it is not blurry when blown up?
will not let me place a svg so really appreciate any input you would have thank you in advance.

So properly built vector if possible is generally always going to be the best file. The most universal are going to be .eps and .pdf files. Flexi has several option to enlarge raster images as well. You can go to the SAI youtube page and they have several tutorials on the subject.

If you have to use a raster image, try to use an uncompressed file format. I personally like .psd, .png, .tiff, or .pdf files. When using raster images compression is your enemy, they are fine to send to customers as a proof or for the interwebs but not for production.

I believe that Illustrator can convert from .svg to .esp

tooler82

So properly built vector if possible is generally always going to be the best file. The most universal are going to be .eps and .pdf files. Flexi has several option to enlarge raster images as well. You can go to the SAI youtube page and they have several tutorials on the subject.

If you have to use a raster image, try to use an uncompressed file format. I personally like .psd, .png, .tiff, or .pdf files. When using raster images compression is your enemy, they are fine to send to customers as a proof or for the interwebs but not for production.

I believe that Illustrator can convert from .svg to .esp

Yeah Illustrator can, but in case he doesn’t own it or doesn’t want to buy it, Inkscape is free.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It'e been my experience that a pdf is somewhat superior to an eps, an ai would my absolute last choice. There seems to be far less of a color shift with pdf vice eps. Both file formats are simply containers for both vector, text, and bitmap images. Gradients and transparencies can often prove frustrating. Since there is not standard for these every proprietary package has its own unique methods of dealing with these, and more often than not, incompatible with any other package to some degree or another.

Bitmaps is bitmaps and can be imported in their native format as well as any container format.

It's 'Flexi' not 'flexie'. 'Flexi' is short for 'FlexiSign'.

WildWestDesigns

Yeah Illustrator can, but in case he doesn’t own it or doesn’t want to buy it, Inkscape is free.

SVG to EPS is generally handled better in Ai compared to Inkscape in my experience.

Now, on the flip side, SVGs in Inkscape are generally better compared to Ai SVGs, can contain more information (especially in the XML side of things) and can be used for a lot of other applications (such as embroidery information in my case), but generally EPSs have certain issues coming from Inkscape and I usually have to bring in to Ai to clean up as it is. That is just in my experience though.

tooler82

SVG to EPS is generally handled better in Ai compared to Inkscape in my experience.

Now, on the flip side, SVGs in Inkscape are generally better compared to Ai SVGs, can contain more information (especially in the XML side of things) and can be used for a lot of other applications (such as embroidery information in my case), but generally EPSs have certain issues coming from Inkscape and I usually have to bring in to Ai to clean up as it is. That is just in my experience though.

Yes, but like I said, this person may not want to spend thousands on Adobe. Another forum I’m on, they would say to post the file and they’d convert it for them. I don’t know how this forum works so I didn’t offer to do it for them. Just gave them a free option.

WildWestDesigns

Yes, but like I said, this person may not want to spend thousands on Adobe. Another forum I’m on, they would say to post the file and they’d convert it for them. I don’t know how this forum works so I didn’t offer to do it for them. Just gave them a free option.

Am all for using open source (not necessarily free, although a lot of people think those go hand in hand, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't), but I also believe in being pragmatic and choosing the tool that gives the best results, sometimes that's open source, sometimes it isn't. To me, consistency would be the thing, what tool delivers consistent results.

Don't exactly have to go the Ai route. Have DRAW and Affinity Designer (which is the least expensive option and you can try to see if you like it before paying, if it would work or not). I just don't know about a software that may give good results the majority of the time and then give a bad one a few times. I would want consistency. If the OP was able to stick with SVG (which is unable to do based on the existence of this thread), I would say go with Inkscape all day long for designing the SVG in the first place. Far more robust in what you can do with the SVG format in Inkscape then in what commercial products I have familiarity with.

tooler82

Am all for using open source (not necessarily free, although a lot of people think those go hand in hand, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't), but I also believe in being pragmatic and choosing the tool that gives the best results, sometimes that's open source, sometimes it isn't. To me, consistency would be the thing, what tool delivers consistent results.

Don't exactly have to go the Ai route. Have DRAW and Affinity Designer (which is the least expensive option and you can try to see if you like it before paying, if it would work or not). I just don't know about a software that may give good results the majority of the time and then give a bad one a few times. I would want consistency. If the OP was able to stick with SVG (which is unable to do based on the existence of this thread), I would say go with Inkscape all day long for designing the SVG in the first place. Far more robust in what you can do with the SVG format in Inkscape then in what commercial products I have familiarity with.

True. I have Illustrator, Photoshop, Flexi, Corel, and Quark.

AKwrapguy

With new subscription service Illustrator is now much more accessible.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
appreciate the input but work on your people skills cause your rude.
thanks

Sport, you get to post whatever it is you post for whatever reason you want to post. Then people respond in whatever manner it might please them to do so. And back. And forth. During this interchange it's considered Bad Form, at least by myself and a perhaps small host of others, to comment upon some poster's 'people skills', its bad breath, its lustful thoughts, or most anything else not at least remotely germane to the subject at hand. Posts regarding posts, or meta-posts if you will, are useless endeavors. Moreover, before you indulge in this sort of behavior learn the subtle but telling difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

player

Sport, you get to post whatever it is you post for whatever reason you want to post. Then people respond in whatever manner it might please them to do so. And back. And forth. During this interchange it's considered Bad Form, at least by myself and a perhaps small host of others, to comment upon some poster's 'people skills', its bad breath, its lustful thoughts, or most anything else not at least remotely germane to the subject at hand. Posts regarding posts, or meta-posts if you will, are useless endeavors. Moreover, before you indulge in this sort of behavior learn the subtle but telling difference between 'your' and 'you're'.
Only a true friend will tell you there's a booger in your nose.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Sport, you get to post whatever it is you post for whatever reason you want to post.

During this interchange it's considered Bad Form, at least by myself and a perhaps small host of others, to comment upon some poster's 'people skills', its bad breath, its lustful thoughts, or most anything else not at least remotely germane to the subject at hand.

You do realize that both of these comments are in conflict with one another?

And I'm a little surprised by this considering, if I recall correctly, you said that you post what you post because you can and you want to.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.

Also, personally, in an informal exchange like this, small spelling, grammatical issues (yes even homophones) that don't cloud the meaning of what is posted, to me, are irrelevant things (as in, not remotely germane to the question at hand and I would consider those meta posts as well, as in posts about posts) to call out someone on. Now, if typing errors take so long to decipher and make posting a reply that much harder to do, then that's another thing.

Last edited: