• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FlexiSignn Pro hates Adobe ai!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Have you tried bringing portions of the artwork in systematically to see if anything is buggy with the .ai file or a mask, type not outlined somewhere or multiple compounds is causing Flexi to freak?

ooops, looks like you did that already....

HaroldDesign

I don't use Flexi, but There are situations in Illustrator I need to "Expand Appearance" of the drop shadow and flatten transparency (especially if spot colors are being used).

Steve Rife

tooserious...
When you open files from another graphic design software into Flexi you are subject to FSPs interpretation of your design. You mention that you are running CS3, and the shadows you import are there, but becoming solid black. I can tell you honestly that Flexi does not support soft shadows, and is limited to only opening CS(1) files. As someone stated in the post above, one method to import these files into Flexi is to Rasterize it by opening the file in PhotoShop and saving as a *.PSD file. This will also ensure your vector gradients remain smooth since they also will be converted to bitmaps.

Another method which may help in this instance is to print directly from AI to Production Manager. Here is how you would set the shared printer in PM: While in Production Manager 8.5v1 or later, select your printer and go to the Setup > Setup Properties menu option. "Install desktop printer" will be a button located in the first (Job Workflow) tab. This will add a shared printer in your "Printers and Faxes" folder on your PC. You will then be able to print directly from any application on your pc, regardless if it is graphic oriented or not.

Hopefully this gets you closer to what you wish to achieve :)

Steven Rife
Beacon Graphics
www.beacongraphics.com

Jim Kielt

Flexi Sign Pro hates Adobe (not really)

Steven Rife's answer points to a little known feature improvement in later versions of Flexi-the ability to enable the desktop printer and achieve a postscript workflow that allows you to print from any application directly through Flexi's RIP to the printer-without changing the color space!

Remember that if you open an AI file in Flexi or a Corel file in Adobe or any other combination, you change the color space from one appliaction to another and your colors will never be the same. By following this ps workflow, you keep the original color space the job was created in and print directly to the rip without opening up the job in the Flexi design portion.

I have tried this with word files, AI, Photoshop, cadlink and Omega and it works fine. Yes, that means you can print to any large format printer from Omega (thru Flexi's Production Manager) and you don't have to open the Omega file in Flexi.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Another method which may help in this instance is to print directly from AI to Production Manager. Here is how you would set the shared printer in PM: While in Production Manager 8.5v1 or later, "

Would this be the same as dropping the file directly into the production manager without opening the main Flexi program? I am using Flexi 7.6 and do it this way about 99% of the time. Most of the files are eps ai & pdf's from customers.

wayne k
guam usa

Steve Rife

Wayne,
It is not exactly the same. The shared printer in PM was originally designed to allow users to print from any application to their large format printers. It automatically creates a PostScript file, and prints to a Hot Folder Flexi created. (very similar a the "virtual printer" Adobe released for you older Mac gurus) As I was testing this feature I discovered that it would resolve a lot of issues with color shifts and "phantom squares" associated in AI and PDF files.

Your workflow of adding AI and PDF files directly to PM is also an awesome method of printing files. You are bypassing the color space shift Jim Kielt mentioned above. This workflow is similar to what you would find in the other SA International product, PhotoPRINT. If you don't have to add anything from Flexi's design program, I would continue to run with what is best for your environment.

Steven Rife
Beacon Graphics
www.beacongraphics.com