• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Floor covering Help

Felix Sepulveda

Hello all !!! I'm being asked to give a quote for printing and instaling a huge map (two rectangular pieces) in a museum floor. They are both 33x10 Feet. I have an Epson Ecocolvent. I'm asking for suggestion/help in which vinil and laminate is suitable for this case (good adhesion, protection and durability). They did the job previuosly with another company and it lasted less than two years before the borders began to peel. Also any technique or tip is very, vey welcome. Thanks !!!

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
There is a new laminate from Continental Grafx (North Carolina) which is 24mils thick. It is the thickest, toughest floor laminate I know of. You can print on a permanent or removable (if you want it to last for years, it doesn't matter as removable will become permanent after around a year) and put this laminate on top for long term peformance. If you want the graphic to last for multiple years, then use a polymeric adhesive vinyl (5 year calendared...cast would be a waste of money). Using this laminate would allow you to keep your printing in-house instead of subbing out work to be printed on a material like BILD 75mil floor media which would be ideal but can only be printed UV.

Felix Sepulveda

Thanks a lot Mark !!! I will research about where to get the laminate !!! I'm in the Dominican Republic, but I can bring the material.

Steenland

Old Member
3M 3645 is a very durable laminate. I put it on top of 3M 40C-20R vinyl for long-term floor graphics.

For safety and longevity, multi-panel floor graphics should have butt seams, not overlapping seams. I use 3M Finish Line knifeless tape to create butt seams when cutting with a knife may damage the floor.

Felix Sepulveda

3M 3645 is a very durable laminate. I put it on top of 3M 40C-20R vinyl for long-term floor graphics.

For safety and longevity, multi-panel floor graphics should have butt seams, not overlapping seams. I use 3M Finish Line knifeless tape to create butt seams when cutting with a knife may damage the floor.
Thank you for this valuable tip !!! about the seams and the materials.

Felix Sepulveda

What about the borders, do you recomend to add a white border for precaution ? (ink interfering with the adhesive in the borders) ?