• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Foil Rips

Marie

I am printing Zero 9 White on to Oracal 651 red using my Gerber FX. To avoid using twice as much ribbon by printing a primer coat of white, I tried printing using the "Dark" setting to see if the white would go down heavier. It is definitely a better print - but the foil rips after a few inches. Is this because I am using Zero 9? Or is this a common problem when trying to print "dark"? Otherwise, I guess I will go back to using a primer coat.... THANKS!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's because you are using any given combination of foil, vinyl and Edge settings that have exceeded the ability to run correctly. You might use a different foil or vinyl and find the print runs fine. If you back off of the increased heat setting and it runs without ripping, then you have your answer for the foil and vinyl you are using.

Browner

You could try using Gerber's Flood Coat White - though I've found it to be too 'blotchy' and not great for small objects or text.

I use Gerber's Arctic White. So much so, that I don't stock the 'regular' white anymore.