• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

font for the declaration of independence

unclebun

The engrosser of the Declaration was probably Timothy Matlock, an assistant to Charles Thomson, secretary to the Congress. On August 2nd John Hancock, the President of the Congress, signed the engrossed copy with a bold signature.

Of course, the broadside of the declaration was printed, but that's not the official document. But that one looks a lot like Caslon.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
This is fascinating
• In 1776, Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) chose the British typeface “Caslon” for the first printing of the American Declaration of Independence and for the Constitution.

• The American Scribe typeface replicates the script found in the Declaration of Independence. Because Matlack's lettering can be found on so many documents, it was possible to create a digital version of it as a typeface we can all use.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't realize the double ss was written like that in English back then. I thought that was more a german kinda thing.