• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font frustration

TeamOutlaw

I dug through all my fonts to find this one...I have some similar (Friz Quadrata etc) but none that match. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Hazen FD.JPG

TimToad

You try to do what the original sign artist did and pull out a stabilo and actually lay it out by hand like he or she did. Or if you have multiples to do, one of those yellow things with the black stuff in the middle, I think they used to call them pencils works really well on white paper. Then you get a thing called a "pounce" wheel and perforate all the lines.

TeamOutlaw

You try to do what the original sign artist did and pull out a stabilo and actually lay it out by hand like he or she did. Or if you have multiples to do, one of those yellow things with the black stuff in the middle, I think they used to call them pencils works really well on white paper. Then you get a thing called a "pounce" wheel and perforate all the lines.
A paper rubbing might be an option if the truck wasn't 250mi from me. All I got was this picture to reproduce from. Also, I hate to burst your bubble...but this job was NOT done by hand, it's computer cut black and sign-leaf gold. I've been doing signage for 20+yrs so this ain't my 1st rodeo, but thanks for the smart-a$$ reply and ever-so-helpful tip. :doh:

BTW...they make these new fancy mechanical pencils now so you can throw your 1970's No. 2 yellow pencils away.

That is a Pierce truck, and judging by the contour cut in the clear (you can barely see it) that is a Pierce factory lettering job. That is real gold encapsulated in vinyl, and it appears to be one of Pierce's fonts. You most likely will not find a match.

SignosaurusRex

That type of response was not really called for Tim. :banghead:

There's plenty of meanness in the world, most of us don't come here to get more of it and shouldn't have to choose between, "putting up with it" or not participating.

jfiscus

Rap Master
You're gonna have to straighten that photo out and get out your pen tool in Illustrator (or whatever) for this one!
I've encountered this one before; at least there aren't that many letters!

Schickworks

a quick question, are you going to be making exactly what's on that truck or do you have to add new text to it? What i normally do when i'm stuck on a font for a job that is relatively small ( like that door), i will digitize it myself. Obviously that option will depend on digitizing skill and speed in order to make it worthwhile. sometimes i find i spend more time searching than if i would have just recreated it.