• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

font help

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since you reference another site, how about saving some time and providing a link to the search result.

Broadwing is done using Syntax Bold with approximately an 18 degree slant added and an expansion of somewhere in the neighborhood of 125% to 130%.

Syntax Bold which is also known as Humanist 531 from Bitstream. The Bitstream version is probably included in the free conts that come with CorelDRAW.

The tag line is done with ITC Conduit Medium Italic without modification.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The "Broadwing" lettering looks a lot like Trade Gothic, but not a perfect match. The upper right stem on the lower case "g" is different from the normal Trade Gothic glyph. On top of that, the "Broadwing" italic lettering appears to be horizontally stretched (which also amplifies the amount of shear/slant in the lettering).

The subhead text in the logo is ITC Conduit Bold-Italic.

Just to get a little off topic to throw in my 2 cents about logos and fonts, logo recreation, etc.

It is a very common practice, at least among larger corporations, to have lettering customized out of normal font proportions. For example, the Aachen Bold lettering in the Merrill Lynch signature is not normal Aachen, but a customized rendition of it. Other companies will go even farther and have their own fonts developed. Nortel Networks is one example of a company having its own font family developed for its brand identity and corporate communications.

For those reasons, if you're doing a sign job for any kind of national client, it is an infinitely much more prudent move to take in talking with their advertising department and obtaining official artwork and useage guidelines from them. In fact this kind of move makes the designer's job a lot easier. You often won't have to waste time recreating a logo. The color specifications are often spelled out so you don't have to guess. Many will provide composition formulas so you can easily duplicate their approved layouts.