• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font ID Software?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I'm constantly faced with scrolling thru font preview to try and identify fonts. I know I've seen discussions in here before of ID software, but can't find them. Anyone have a suggestion for a good program?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As stated many times, the application I primarily use is FontExpert. It works with unmodified fonts only but does come with a large supplied database and a database generator for adding in your own fonts. The best solution for dealing with modified fonts is to bring Photoshop into the mix and to stretch, squeeze, rotate and unslant to attempt to restore the text sample to the unmodified version it started out as.

I like a product called TypoGraf for doing manual comparisons although many font managers work in the same way. Finally, I like MyFonts.com for its fair prices, large selection, search engine and ability to type in your own text string.

Having a good sized, organized type library is a big plus and learning all one can about typography is a requirement to have reasonable success IDing fonts.

There is also a type ID feature in the autotracing application Imagaro Z. Like FontExpert it allows you to add in your own fonts and also will attempt to stretch or squeeze its database characters to fit your sample. I own a copy and prefer to use FontExpert for its speed. By comparison, I find Imagaro Z takes longer to use and is not as accurate.

striper14

font id

font detective which comes with Vinyl master pro is a good program. Just enter bitmap of character and it searches thru your font folder. Works well

SignosaurusRex

A photographic memory would sure be nice! Ever notice how so many top quality fonts have a name that fits the flavor/design of the font. A key element to the form that gives a hint? Associating the name to something or some image in your mind is a great asset to memorizing what name is attached to which font. Like Fred said, "Learning all you can about typography is a requirement to reasonable success in font identification". You don't rely on a calculator for all of your mathematical needs.....don't rely on a font I.D. program for all your font I.D. needs.

Ken

Not to try to pass on this task to anyone else...and it is an ongoing issue for us all...I think the S101 crowd does a great job for feedback on these requests...BUT we shouldn't rely on that...."Getting to Know You".....
Ken