• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Management

David Snider

I have a million fonts and I'm wanting to know how I can better manage all of them. I don't want to load all of them in my 'Omega' but would like to be able to view them when I need them in a much easier fashion.

And also how do I 'unload' a font out of 'Omega'? And since I'm asking...How do you get a font that isn't a 'gerber' font to be able to work with the kerning tools in 'omega'?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
David you're really talking about two or three different things.

For using TrueType fonts in Omega, you have four options:

1. Convert the font to a fully functional Gerber font. I did a tutorial on this a while back which you can go through at your convenience. It's much easier than you might think and well worth the trouble for fonts you want to use regularly. Gerber Font Designer Tutorial

2. Convert the font to a limited functionality Gerber font using the Gerber TTF Font Converter utility. This option preserves the spacing and kerning of the original and is recommended for connected scripts. You lose the ability to arc text or to loosen or tighten spacing.

3. Enter the text directly into Composer using the Small Text tool. Remove the Text Smart Edit attributes and work with it as a graphic.

4. Enter the text in a different application such as Corel or Illustrator, convert to outlines (paths, curves) and save as AI or EPS, then import into Composer.

To install or uninstall fonts in Omega:

Use the Omega System Tray.

Best utility for managing and viewing a large library of PostScript and/or TrueType fonts:

Typograf (5 Star Rated Shareware - Registration Fee is $35.00)

JHsigns

Hey there Fred.. you wouldn't happen to have anytips for the simplist way to do the original organization of fonts with that typograf program by any chance would ya ???

Although from what I have seen of it so far I think at the end of the 30 days I am gonna be registering it since I really like the ability to print font lists.. :)

Thanks in advance..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
JHsigns said:
Hey there Fred.. you wouldn't happen to have anytips for the simplist way to do the original organization of fonts with that typograf program by any chance would ya ???

Although from what I have seen of it so far I think at the end of the 30 days I am gonna be registering it since I really like the ability to print font lists.. :)

Thanks in advance..

I took all my fonts and put them on my file server in folders by foundry. This helps if I am looking for a particular font from a particular foundry. Next I copied them into alphabetical folders. This is handy when I am just looking for a font by name.

For the most used arrangement however, I created five folders named Serif, Sans Serif, Script, Manuscript and Display. You can sort them into whatever groups you want but this is what worked for me. I then opened Typograf and navigated to the Alpha sorted group and into the A folder. I next selected the first font, right clicked it and copied it into the appropriate category folder. It's visual and much quicker than it sounds. I think it took about 2 hours to visually sort and copy 5000 fonts.

Now when I'm handed a sample of a font and I want to ID it, I just enter the text into Options in Typograf and navigate to the appropriate category folder and they display all together.

JHsigns

Thanks Fred.. Now I have a project to work on tonight since I am still pretty new to recognizing different fonts and it gets annoying sitting there and looking at each font 1 at a time to find the one looking for or that would be a neat one ta use !! :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might find this thread of interest if you haven't already read it.

Font Classification Discussion

Depending on the number of fonts you have, I'd suggest starting out by sorting them into four or five distinct groups that you are comfortable with. I personally use:

Serif

Sans Serif

Script - Any font other than Manuscript which appears to emulate lettering written by hand.

Manuscript - Any font that emulates the look of a script but in styles that predate the printing press. Examples: Blackletters, Uncials, Lombardics, Frakturs.

Headline and Display - Hard to classify styles which are designed for limited use and specifically not intended for paragragh text.

Once you've done the first sort, depending on the total number you have, you might want to consider sub-categories in Serif and Sans Serif fonts.

Have fun. :thumb: