• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font Navigator

GVP

Greetings! I wondered if someone could help me understand Font Navigator? I understand it 'loads' fonts for the duration of Corel, and avoids permanently bogging down Windows Fonts folder with excessive amounts of fonts. However, when you re-visit the Corel file at a later point you have to go through the whole 'load the fonts in FN' procedure again. I know I can permanently install the fonts to avoid this, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

TIA

unclebun

RAM and fast hard drives have obviated the need for font managers. I quit trying to use them back when Windows XP came out.

WildWestDesigns

RAM and fast hard drives have obviated the need for font managers. I quit trying to use them back when Windows XP came out.

While that may have been the main reason why font managers came about (system stability), that really is only one need (one thing that I liked about Linux based systems is that this wasn't actually an issue as the fonts were only loaded on a case by case basis and not all loaded and ready to go like older versions of Windows did) and font managers can do other things as well, more so then the basic functionality that comes in with most OSs. I wouldn't say that totally renders font managers obsolete.

To the OP: I do believe that there is one user on here that was quite vocal (bobby was it you?) that didn't like the issues/bugs of Coral's font manager, but I could be remembering wrong. I can't remember if this issue was among those concerns or not.

unclebun

I take one thing back. If you are using the downloaded version of Corel Draw, and don't have the DVD, Font Manager is where you can download all the fonts that come with Corel Draw.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The problem with Corel Font Manager is it can really slow down certain operations of CorelDRAW if the folders it watches have thousands or even tens of thousands of font files. It takes more time for the program to launch. CDR files with editable text objects take significantly longer to open than CDR files with all type converted to curves. The difference can be pretty dramatic (and annoying) if the CDR file has a lot of fonts.

Some of the boggy behavior can be alleviated by using the font filters in the CorelDRAW font menu. Most of the time I only have it showing fonts actually installed in the system and then filter down farther than that. My work desktop PC and notebook are starting to show their age. Perhaps a newer, high end PC with a fast CPU and lots more RAM might not suffer such a speed penalty.

Regarding the loading of fonts in Corel Font Manager, you should only have to do that once. It will actively monitor font files or folders you add or remove from the folders it watches. For instance I bought the Avenir Next Pro family at MyFonts a couple days ago (on sale for $79, regularly $499). I put the folder of fonts into my font collection folder. It automatically showed up in the CorelDRAW font menu when all filters were unchecked to show the entire font collection.