• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Forex cutout with Summa F

Peter Brady

Hello,

we have a summa F for some time, but until now we did not have any request to cut forex material in different shapes.
So before trying, I ask for your advice, if anyone has done it before, with a Heavy Duty tool will I be able to cut different shapes in 5mm forex (in passes) without harming the blade/tool?
I made a test with 3mm Forex cutting it in 3 passes of 1mm with success. Rectangle and circle. Any other shapes reveal a bit of each pass mark on the edge. I just don't know if this operation puts any dangerous pressure on the blade.
Also, if this is possible which is the recommended pass depth for this type of material?

Note: I don't have pot/eot, nor router atm.

Thanks

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I wouldn't worry about harming the tool or blade, I'd be more worried about how detailed your cuts need to be.

Multi-pass with Heavy Duty blade will cut up to 6mm PVC fairly cleanly, just make sure your overcuts and lift angles are adjusted properly.

Peter Brady

I wouldn't worry about harming the tool or blade, I'd be more worried about how detailed your cuts need to be.

Multi-pass with Heavy Duty blade will cut up to 6mm PVC fairly cleanly, just make sure your overcuts and lift angles are adjusted properly.
It wont be any intricate design, mostly rectangles and large curves. I just wanted to know if that thickness is too much and need to cut lets say 2 layers of 3mm and glue them together to make up for 6mm or go straight to 6mm in several passes. there is no time pressure, the tool/blade is the major concern.
Thanks for reply