• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Franklin Kentucky

The Hobbyist

I love living here. However, living is a rural area means there are limited options for helpers, or even friends who like to hang around a shop and get involved in projects. My good friend, Dave had a massive stroke on New Year's Eve, so he is out of the picture now. I pray for him, but I don't see much of a chance of a meaningful recovery.

I sure would like to find someone in my local area who wants to come over to my shops and help me with projects. I can even pay a bit for the time. The closest friend now, lives in Bowling Green, nearly 30 miles away. He is a single dad with a great kid, but that takes up his free time. Also, at $4.00+ per gallon for fuel, it is a $10.00 round trip just to stop by for a casual visit.

The people that ARE available, I generally would not hire. They are meth heads, and alcoholics, and oxycodone junkies, and such. I had a helper for a while, but some of my expensive tools ended up in pawn shops. You just can't find quality people any longer.

Joe

SignosaurusRex

Thanks for sharing hobbyist. Working alone can sometimes be a blessing and other times a curse that can destroy a man's ambition.
If I lived in your area, I'd be all over that opportunity you offer. Hopefully you will find that one person.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You just can't find quality people any longer.

Joe
A blanket statement that isn't 100% true.

Avail yourself of your local vocational or tech school programs, and you just may be surprised. There are plenty of young men and women longing for a chance to do something creative.

Make sure to get recommendations from teachers first.

JB

The Hobbyist

A blanket statement that isn't 100% true.

Avail yourself of your local vocational or tech school programs, and you just may be surprised. There are plenty of young men and women longing for a chance to do something creative.

Make sure to get recommendations from teachers first.

JB
The closest college is WKU about 30 miles away. The local high school ... I don't want to hire a kid who stares at his iPhone all day. Been there, done that. I will see if there is a vocational school nearby, but I sort of live in "The Sticks" of Kentucky. No Barnes & Noble or Starbucks anywhere close :roflmao:

Joe

Johnny Best

As soon as Dave gets up and around from his stroke, you should get him in the shop working with you. I had a massive stroke 4 to 5 years ago. Had to learn how to talk, chew, dress myself, walk and use my damaged brain again. My family worked with me every day to get me back to “normal” again. I work out every morning and changed my diet. So get Dave’s a$$ back in the shop to work.

The Hobbyist

As soon as Dave gets up and around from his stroke, you should get him in the shop working with you. I had a massive stroke 4 to 5 years ago. Had to learn how to talk, chew, dress myself, walk and use my damaged brain again. My family worked with me every day to get me back to “normal” again. I work out every morning and changed my diet. So get Dave’s a$$ back in the shop to work.
I surely hope this is possible with Dave. He is fully paralyzed on the right side of his body, and he has two conditions ... I can't think of the names for them ... He tries to talk but only unintelligible babble comes out. He understands what you are saying to him, but he cannot communicate. The other one is the disconnect between his left side and his brain. He has almost zero control of his left hand and arm, and leg. He was a two CARTON per week smoker.

I found a doctor in Coral Gables, Florida who has an experimental injection therapy that supposedly helps stroke patients. It somehow removes the cloudy veil in the brain, and it has varying results from no change at all, to a full recovery in a matter of hours. I offered to pay for the injections which are hugely expensive, but Dave does not want them. You can lead a horse to water ....

He has a girlfriend who is there for him, and she is now his caregiver I guess. She is an angel. I admire her for stepping up, but I cannot imagine that she should take on this task. Dave is not a wealthy guy, so it isn't as if he can leave her a home, or a nest egg for her troubles. I would not blame her if she told his daughter that it is too much.

The strange thing is that Dave had a conversation with me, and another close friend only a couple of months prior to the stroke. We talked about this exact scenario ... "If I EVER get to a point where ... promise me you'll shoot me through the head!" Well, neither of us are willing to keep that promise, of course. We have to answer to God.

I am retired, but the other friend is employed. We are looking for a three or four day window of time to drive down to Florida together to visit with Dave. That may happen soon. I will make the offer one more time, to cover the costs of the experimental injections, but Dave is still his own man, and "no" still means no.

Joe

Johnny Best

He tries to talk but only unintelligible babble comes out. He understands what you are saying to him, but he cannot communicate. The other one is the disconnect between his left side and his brain. He has almost zero control of his left hand and arm, and leg.
I know exactly how he is feeling. Like I said, work out every day, long walks. You would never know I was in that condition if you saw me now. Where is Dave in Florida? There is also a place in Boca Raton that gives injection that supposably cures you also.

Another thing that helped me is coming back on Signs101, after reading some of the things people say on here, you do not feel as stupid as you think you are.

victor bogdanov

The closest college is WKU about 30 miles away.

Joe

I live in large city, 30 miles away is how far many people drive to work, 30 miles doesn't even get you to the other side of town, add traffic and it is very common to spend an hr driving somewhere. At least in a rural area you don't have to deal with traffic

CanuckSigns

There is a huge community of "makers" now who all tinker with various tools like small CNC routers, lasers, vinyl cutters etc. for fun and as a side gig for extra $$ See if there are any makerspaces in your area. We hired a younger guy who was really into 3D printing to run our laser engravers, he caught on really well and has a really good work ethic, plus he takes in active interest in the work and equipment.

The Hobbyist

I know exactly how he is feeling. Like I said, work out every day, long walks. You would never know I was in that condition if you saw me now. Where is Dave in Florida? There is also a place in Boca Raton that gives injection that supposably cures you also.

Another thing that helped me is coming back on Signs101, after reading some of the things people say on here, you do not feel as stupid as you think you are.
Is it Boca Raton? I thought it was Coral Gables. That doctor that gives experimental injections to aid in the recovery of strokes... I think we are talking about the same man.

He doesn't claim to cure you. He claims that the serum helps to clear away some of the fogginess that makes the brain not function well. The cost exceeds $6,000.00 but I would put out that much if I even thought it might help Dave recover. He was an avid drummer and guitarist, an entertainer who played the western dance clubs and such. I cannot imagine what he is going through now.

Joe

CanuckSigns

Is it Boca Raton? I thought it was Coral Gables. That doctor that gives experimental injections to aid in the recovery of strokes... I think we are talking about the same man.

He doesn't claim to cure you. He claims that the serum helps to clear away some of the fogginess that makes the brain not function well. The cost exceeds $6,000.00 but I would put out that much if I even thought it might help Dave recover. He was an avid drummer and guitarist, an entertainer who played the western dance clubs and such. I cannot imagine what he is going through now.

Joe
Sounds like Dave is lucky to have you as a friend.

gnubler

The people that ARE available, I generally would not hire. They are meth heads, and alcoholics, and oxycodone junkies, and such. You just can't find quality people any longer.
We must be neighbors.

The 'Tucky affliction is national, and the laid back, country lifestyle of the rural areas is fast disappearing. We just got our first cannibal on the docket, pretty impressive for such a small population. Rural county under 50K.

The zombies are everywhere and, if I were in charge, would be shot on sight.

The Hobbyist

We must be neighbors.

The 'Tucky affliction is national, and the laid back, country lifestyle of the rural areas is fast disappearing. We just got our first cannibal on the docket, pretty impressive for such a small population. Rural county under 50K.

The zombies are everywhere and, if I were in charge, would be shot on sight.
Are we? I am out in the county, a few miles away from Franklin, KY.

Joe