• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Free font site

rjssigns

I've noticed that a lot of stuff on the "free" sites is for personal use only.

Something else to remember is many of those fonts aren't fully developed and will cause software and RIP issues.
I have lots of experience with this in a school setting.
Students are warned repeatedly not to go to those sites yet still do.
Then they complain that the file won't print, won't load, has weird artifacts etc...

The HP Indigo in the lab will flag the file or it won't load in the RIP. There have been instances where "free" fonts will crash the RIP.
Takes a looooong time to reboot. On the order of 20 to 30 minutes.

Wide format is less of an issue but those "free" fonts have still caused rip and print issues.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I've noticed that a lot of stuff on the "free" sites is for personal use only.

Something else to remember is many of those fonts aren't fully developed and will cause software and RIP issues.
I have lots of experience with this in a school setting.
Students are warned repeatedly not to go to those sites yet still do.
Then they complain that the file won't print, won't load, has weird artifacts etc...

The HP Indigo in the lab will flag the file or it won't load in the RIP. There have been instances where "free" fonts will crash the RIP.
Takes a looooong time to reboot. On the order of 20 to 30 minutes.

Wide format is less of an issue but those "free" fonts have still caused rip and print issues.
Shouldn't have issues if your fonts are flattened, rasteised or created as outlines?

jochwat

Graphics Department
Shouldn't have issues if your fonts are flattened, rasteised or created as outlines?
Usually that's the solution, but sometimes you can't get away with just rasterizing/outlining your fonts (e.g., a variable-data job where the text changes and paragraphs reformat on the fly).

rjssigns

Nah, besides wasting time with all the extra steps trying to make it work, issues still pop up.
Kerning, and trying to set leading are other "fun and exciting" aspects of "free" fonts.
Not to mention a lot of this "free" stuff is somebody pirating a good font and tweaking it a little and naming it something else.
Glyphs, ligatures etc...are usually missing or F'ed up so bad they will never work.

I run three classes a year and students try to sneak one by the ol' guy. Catch them every time.
Then they get to show the whole class what happens when you try to use "free" fonts.
This has happened more times than I care to count.
But it's a teachable moment on the pitfalls of "free" fonts as opposed to buying fully developed fonts from sites like Letterheads or Sign DNA.