• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Friends with other sign shops, why the problem

fresh

We were friends with a smaller shop than us (amazing, since we are pretty small.) But he moved and changed directions.. I think he is doing a lot of silk screening these days. We've helped each other out in the past, but honestly, it was more us helping him than vice versa. But whateves, he sends us his old customers, so it pays to be nice!

And we are willing to be friendly with other local shops, but honestly, out of the 5 in our immediate area, we only know one. It just dawned on me that I have a bigger shop than 4 out of those 5, and the one we know is the one that is bigger than us.

Finally, we used to use a local "wholesale printer", but that a$$hole stole a few of my customers AND charged retail customers his "wholesale" rate. He literally charged one of my clients $4sqft installed for window perf! And those bozos had to drive to 5 different locations to install these small advertising signs. So whatever, I figure he'll be out of business soon enough if he keeps that up. Needless to say, we aren't friendly with him anymore.

Andy D

Yeah, you have to be careful when subbing stuff out to local shops.
About 10 years ago, I had a bid for 50,000 decals
Instead of being smart and just subbing it out to a company that is only a wholesaler I thought I would
let a local guy, I thought I knew, bid it 1st.
He called me at least 15 times going back and forth, and then told me the only way he could price it was for me to email him the art,
so Like a dumb@ss I sent him the art... with the company's name and phone number on it.. from that email on I couldn't get him to return a email or phone call
because he bidded it directly to the customer.

:Oops:

Andy D

I didn't, not sure if he did or not, but a few years later I hired a guy that used to work for him
and he told me the guy was a total sleaze and did stuff like that all the time.

Andy D

Yeah, I don't sub-out jobs I want local, that's different, I will take in any job
that they're willing to pay my price.