• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted Glass Vinyl for Race Stripes?

Savage Signs

I have a customer who wants to do "Ghost" racing stripes on his Mustang and wants the frosted glass look to it where the color will still show through but has that etched glass look.

Looks like there are lots of options on the market for this type of frosted / dusted glass vinyl but all iv researched are for glass/ acrylic / poly application and cannot stand moisture exposure.
Like the 3M Crystal glass finishes or Oracal 8710.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something that is weather resistant, wont pull the automotive paint when removed and still has the desired effect or something close to it?

I already showed him the translucent vinyls from Oracal and the 986 crystal clear sparkle hes not sold on those.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
There's a bunch of ways. I normally use 3M 2080 matte wrap film in a color that closely matches, or just contrasts the color. You could also go with a matte/ ultra matte paint protection film, they're transparent, and just changes the sheen where you stripe it like frosted would, very subtle, but some of those are way thicker than vinyls, so you'd want to use thinner versions so edges don't stand out so much. Both will last, clean easily, etc. I know someone who uses Oracal 8300 transparent for custom striping (it's colored, but very transparent, mainly used for windows, headlamp, tail lamps, etc), looks awesome, but he says it's a pain to lay.

signheremd

Why not use a wrap vinyl a shade off color for this? 3M 1080 series comes in matte and satin finishes too, so they would give that effect plus hold up on a car... Oracal 970 series wrap vinyl comes in a lot of colors. Using a wrap vinyl is how many of us do police cars to give a ghosted effect to text (like matte black or dark charcoal on black).

IsItFasst

I have found that some of the etched material doesn't look great on certain colors of paint. It can really stand out and doesn't "ghost" very well. Normally I do matte on clear vinyl or choose a matte color close to the customer's color of car.

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
Why not use a wrap vinyl a shade off color for this? 3M 1080 series comes in matte and satin finishes too, so they would give that effect plus hold up on a car... Oracal 970 series wrap vinyl comes in a lot of colors. Using a wrap vinyl is how many of us do police cars to give a ghosted effect to text (like matte black or dark charcoal on black).
You mean land pirate cars? But honestly, that is just disrespectful to actual pirates.

FCD

I would recommend Orafol 951 Clear with a Matte Laminate. Or another possible option would be Arlon Ever Etched with Flite technology. It’s a frosted glass film with air egress to help with install and should be fine on a vehicle.