• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frosted or Etched vinyl!!!

rcook99

I am going to be bidding a job that will require using etched or frosted vinyl on the windows. I have never used this product before and would like to know which one to use and not to use. :thankyou:

RC

Bigdawg

Just Me
Here's some doors we did with Etchmark

Attachments

• Misc_934.jpg
    Misc_934.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 247

Jillbeans

I have had really good luck using Oracal 8510.
They make silver or gold, and you can choose from fine or coarse.
I have been pleased with all of them.
And if it works for me, it would work for anyone.
Love....Jill

i avoid the ones with glitter as it looks cheap in my opinion..if the customer has got to have it i'll do it but i try to point them in the other direction.

install wet.

wes70

Roughly 2 months ago, I did 6 office glass doors. I left a 1/2" border and soaked the windows... turned out great!

Mosh

I have used both the oracal and the gerber, both work well. If doing a full cover we do it wet application and do not go all the way to the edge. this will give the fluid somewhere to go. If we are only doing lettering or a design we do a dry application.

signwizz

i've done lots of these and always wet when large and if you have a logo in the middle or a design i only premask the logo and lift the rest off the carrier sheet upside down then spray it.Then u dont have to wait for all the premask to release just off the logo section
just my experience
shane

btropical.com

there are some really hot window film etch effect that maybe of help , alot of window film company distributors carry them or you can use Solyx they have way to much to offer for the customer >>>> after application use clear window film liner over etch to smooth with card

Baz

If it's regular etched vinyl you need and not the frosty speckled type then go with the MacTac brand. It's half the price. It's thicker so its easyer to handle and i allways go ultra soaking wet when i install the stuff.

JoySigns

For me this is the most difficult vinyl to work with. Give yourself plenty of profit margin for making mistakes.

quicksigns

We did a job two weeks ago using the oracal 8510 that we bought little over a year ago. More then half way thru the job, we ran out so I order about 20 more yard from Fellers. When we got the vinyl in, the color did not match up. The one we had before was noticeably darker. Called Fellers and they said they could not do anything about it so we had to order a whole new roll and redo over. But made us easy money in less then 3 hour.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I prefer the softer look of etched. You can apply it wet or dry.

Attachments

• door logo.jpg
    door logo.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 218

Larry L

I am going to be bidding a job that will require using etched or frosted vinyl on the windows. I have never used this product before and would like to know which one to use and not to use. :thankyou:

RC

Do not use etch for long term outside windows. I had it crack apart on cars windows.