• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frustrated...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes I do. It is an ideal complement to an Edge based shop.

In comparing it to other inkjets that also provide for cutting the print, it simply isn't a banner machine or extra wide format. Other than that, it takes a lot less floor space, costs less and isn't as smelly to be around.

dennis j

Fred, Thanks for the report on the Versacamm sounds like when you include the price of a laminator and the laminate the square ft price will jump a bit. Would this be some thing that you could laminate and then cut?
:thankyou:

LP, could you let me know what laminator you go with and how it works out if you get one? :thankyou:

idsign

Learning Corel

I sympathize with you having to learn new software when you are used to using one you are very familiar with like Omega.
Gerber did not begin as a software company so to believe Omega is par excel ance...I can't agree. Overpriced, to be sure.

Years ago signers tried to get Corel to build in plotter drivers and Corel's position was that signers who buy Corel are a very small segment of the millions of copies they want to sell of Corel (PLANNED ROLL-OUT OF A NEW UPGRADE VERSION ANNUALLY).

They thought hey...let the hardware people come to us (Corel those darn Canadians anyway) and make the hardware work with the base Corel software - whether it was then or now with bridge software or plug-ins.

Back on topic. Your situation could be worse - like mine. I was a lifetime IBM Windows PC user who grew up on Corel Draw and Paint and never used Photoshop or Illustrator. To now suddenly find I am forced to learn Adobe on a MAC...arrrrggghhhhh!

I was losing my hair at a more than accelerated pace before this. Now, my friends are referring me as Y'ul Baldy (you know - The King and I - Ramses in the 10 Commandments - that guy).

best of luck
Barry

My sign design software progression:
Corel 3,4,7,9,11 (Draw and Paint) Signlab Mono and Signlab Color bridge software. VinylMaster Pro 2, 2.5, 2.7. Newbie at Illustrator and Photoshop.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Dennis, yes I would plan to laminate and then cut on a lot of work. The versacamm does feature optical sensors to realign the material after lamination ..... how well it works will only be known when i visit the dealer for an in depth demo.

The reason I am looking at laminators in this price range is that i want one that is both hot and cold. The rule seems to be that one uses cold when overlaminating vinyl and hot for paper based substrates. My situation is that we get fairly frequent call to laminate customer items so having the right equipment for a full encapsulation will more than pay for itself. I'm also told that pressure sensitive over lamination goes on better when a small amount of heat is applied.

I also am being pushed into getting a laminator by a good customer who wants all of his equipment labels laminated. We do about $2000 per quarter in Edge printed labels for him.

I must also point to competition. My area has lots of inkjet shops. Several have JV3 systems but have failed to invest in the matching plotters to provide print and cut products or in laminators. Having these capabilities available will provide both a competitive edge and an opportunity to upsell.

Typical cold lamination film is about 60¢ to 65¢ a foot. Call it $1.00 a foot for ink and lamination. That's still a good bit better than comparable Edge costs. Plus I don't have to change ribbons, the output is much nicer looking and I'm not bumping into the 11.8" size limitation everytime I turn around.

Ladypainter

Dennis, yes I would plan to laminate and then cut on a lot of work. The versacamm does feature optical sensors to realign the material after lamination ..... how well it works will only be known when i visit the dealer for an in depth demo.
Read on the Roland board yesterday that one person wished they had included some sort of registration mark, because the optical alignment wasn't too great. Responders to her post were saying that they were making their own guidelines before reinserting for cut after lamination.

LP, could you let me know what laminator you go with and how it works out if you get one?
Still looking...can't remember the brand...GRRRRRRRR

I sympathize with you having to learn new software when you are used to using one you are very familiar with like Omega.
Thanks for the cheese for my whine...LOL I did try doing a couple of jobs with the Corel last week, but ended up running back to Omega...LOL I did work the "Sea Byrd" thing up in Corel, but imported it into Omega to add the waves...just didn't have time to try to figure out how to do it in Corel, although I'm sure it's possible. Also, still finding some AMAZING stuff in Corel. Opening for a few minutes each day and poking around.

LP
*insert some goofy signature line here*:biggrin:

Baz

To now suddenly find I am forced to learn Adobe on a MAC

Why on a Mac? ... Adobe files (Photoshop and Illustrator) created on a Mac system will open on a pc system.

Mac usuers have the option to save for a windows based computer. So whenever i get a call from graphic designers i just mention i am using Illustrator or Photoshop on a PC.

On the registration mark topic ... I dont know about the Versacamm but the Soljets have the option to print with Crop marks. I dont have the Optical allignment option enabled on my printer (It was disabled at first and now to enable it i have to call a rep) but people i know say it works verry well ... I allign it manually using the crop marks and works verry well.

I know film laminate is best ... But i dont have the space or extra cash for a laminator ... I use liquid.

I have had prints out on vehicles now for 2 years (including 2 harsh Canadian winters) and they still look great!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Even with thermal resins like Gerber Edge prints lamination can greatly increase the value and durability.

The below before and after replacement is a piece I did less than 2 years ago that got detailed with an electric buffer. The damage took a couple of weeks to begin and then faded to the top photo in less than a week. A separate identical graphic that wasn't detailed still looks like new.

The lower photo is the replacement.

Local_Knowledge.jpg

dennis j

Fred, thanks for the info that is the same reason the Versacamm caught my eye, printing a width of more than 11.8 would be a big plus. We already use a foil type laminate on all of our exterior Edge prints sounds like it is not going to be so easy to laminate printed vinyl. How big of a problem is dust with this type lamination our shop is fairly clean but I was told that you almost need a seperate clean room don't know if this is true or not. :help:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't know but I doubt it's something that requires a clean room. We've been overlaminating our Edge prints with the Gerber 14" Tedlar film in what I can only describe as an awkward and primitive environment ...... we use our Sheeter premask applicator and one of us holds the roll of Tedlar while another cranks the print through. Haven't had any noticeable contaminants yet.

mgs

COREL = FRUSTRATION . . . Naaah, COREL = GOOD!

I've used CorelDraw since version 1.

I'ts a great program when you get comfortable with it.
We use it to do all of our design and signwork. (we export the files as .eps or .ai to the sign software to cut, no problem!)

It's far more powerful and accurate than the senescent Illustrator, (we have both.)

If you have questions regarding CorelDraw as used in sign business,
contact -
mgs@urec.net
I'll try and help (on a limited basis only, I'm still trying to make a living cutting
signs.)
DM ;0)

OldPaint

ive been using corel since version 3. and iam one of the 1st that used corel as a sign cutting program. i cut directly from corel to plotter no other program needed. if she cant help i probably can.

Ladypainter

Thanks very much everyone. I hate to admit it, but I really haven't been using it much. I try to start things and end up reverting back to Omega. I get frustrated trying to do the same things and all the buttons are different. When it boils down to having to get a job done, I can do it so much faster with Omega. I can't even seem to make a simple outline in Corel!

OP...how do you cut directly from Corel? Is it a plugin or something?

LP

OldPaint

ROLAND PLOTTERS and printer driver from from roland. in corel you treat object in corel to be cut as a printing object. you assign a .000003 or the thinest line available in corel to objects, asign a color to the line and you can leave a fill color or not. i cut everyday from corel.....do the same in my mobile truck.

Niun

Waffle Baron
If your going to get corel, jump right to Corel 11. No reason to settle for ancient. Corel is very inexpensive compared to the other design software out there. We have been using Corel Draw since day one and have had no problems yet. It took me about a month I suppose to get truely proficient in it. On a personal note, I didn't like anything roland had to offer. Print to Cut on one machine has alot of downfalls as does ecosolvent for outdoor use, best bet is to do lots and lots of research. As far as laminators go, check out the Daige Quickmount 3. Great Price for a cold laminator and I can run up to 54" material through it with no problem. For the price it works fine.

In-House Insomniac, Dana

:signs101: is :cool1: :thumb: