• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Fuji / Oce white ink density

Printer_Guy

We have noticed a drastic reduction in our white density on our backlit prints. We had just updated Onyx to 10.2 6 weeks ago and thought the issue might be there because that's about the time we noticed the issue. When we hooked up our old version of Onyx7.3 it was better but not where it used to be. We have been down about every avenue to fix this problem and have gotten nowhere. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Is it the ink itself, firmware or the onyx upgrade? We are using the same profile we always have from fuji for the day night application and even have re-downloaded it to eliminate a profile issue. Any help would be appreciated!

HaroldDesign

How does that work for you when you're reverse printing on clear....? :rolleyes:
It wouldn't, but that's why I don't do it that way. However, I would think a double white really should have enough density. It's really odd that the rip would affect a flood like that.

iprint

Are you doing a flood fill or a spot for the white? Just making sure that the files are setup properly. I have printed a fair number of day/night acrylic panels in the last month and have not noticed any issues on my 550XT. How old is the bag of white in your machine? Could it be outdated? Do you agitate the bag frequently? Sorry for not being of much help, just trying to brainstorm. I hope that you get it figured out.

Printer_Guy

We print directly to plexi or polycarb for backlits. They are 4/C White 4/C per the manufacturer day night application.

iPrint: This problem has been occurring for about 6-8 weeks. As I stated we hooked up our old rip Onyx 7.3 that used to be fine and still have this issue. Today we ripped the same file in Caldera and we still see this pin dotted bkg. on the back lit images. It just seems like the white is not dense enough as it use to be heavier. The file is set up 4/c white flood 4/c the day night application. On the old rip nothing has changed, we also have a Fuji acuity that's doing the same thing. We have tried different plexi brands to eliminate that avenue. Both machines have white bags that were made around May 2012.
As a side note we are running the 255 WHite and 256 4/C but it has not been an issue in the past. The tech is going to have us try the 256 white to see if that changes anything. Our back lits just have this sparkly looking bkg in the light box, first off I figured it was the led light box but we had an old sample print off the fuji that looks as solid as can be. We're really looking at it being ink since both machines are doing it but so far they claim nothing has changed. Very frustrating. Are we being more picky about it? I don't know but I do know it didn't use to be that way. We have just spoke with a printer in another state who is now saying they are having the same issue getting the white to print at the density it use too. Thanks for your input!

iprint

We print 256. Strange thing is that I just placed an ink order yesterday and was informed that the white ink part number has changed. I hope that they did not re-formulate the ink as our second surface back lit panels on acrylic are mind blowingly beautiful.

One other thing to consider would be the acrylic that you are printing on. Has it changed at all? Do you pre-clean after removing the liner? Just curious if your acrylic could be contaminated somehow. Have you tried printing white on a black substrate to see how that looks? (black sintra or something). Looking forward to hearing more from you.

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
Sound like ICC issue to me and that all it is... to control how much ink it should spit out. Rebuild your ICC may solve the problem.
KT

Printer_Guy

We switched the white ink over to the 256 and it is way better like 95% better!
The new 256 white ink comes in a smaller bag now so that might be why the part number is different.
I feel the 255 white ink was the problem, we'll now switch over the fuji and see how it does.

iprint: What profile are you using on backlits?

We use the can profile because we dont have a way to read a backlit correctly while profiling. We build all our other profiles.

Thanks for everyones input!

iprint

Just the can profiles. I haven't had any reason to build custom. Sounds like you have it figured out. Glad to hear.