• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Full wall mural

Emerald Vinyl

I was hired to do a full wall mural for a nursery. We've done countless wall designs with words, but this is our first time doing an entire wall. What's your suggestions for lining up the vinyl? Should I overlap? Would Matte Vinyl be better than gloss?

TIA!

victor bogdanov

Phototex OPAS , easy to apply, no lamination, easy to remove. I ship mural for customers to install themselves and phototex gets as close to 100% satisfaction as you can get

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Phototex OPAS (As victor bogdanov said) or something like it is very dimensionally stable. The overlam will help keep it dimensionally stable as well. In other words, it don't stretch. :)

This is important for lining up your panels. In simple terms, the thicker the better will typically help you out.

Walk and Wall
Texwalk
Dreamscape Caviar
General Formulations 234
BigfishDM probably has something....
Etc...

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We occasionally use Avery2611 for full wall murals, since it's pretty thick, but I agree with previous posts for this one - reg vinyl (maybe an Avery 2923), and get that matte lam on there, esp for a nursery since they're probably going to be washing it plenty. 1" overlap.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
There are a few other threads on here about which vinyl to use, just make sure it is a good cast vinyl. It is recommended by most to do an adhesion test with different types of vinyl over the course of a couple days to make sure adhesion is good. Matte laminate for interior work. We only do a 1/2" overlap which in our opinion is cleaner looking than 1" overlap, we have done a ton of interior wall wraps this way with no issues. 1" overlap will give you a little extra wiggle room if you haven't installed this type of wrap panels before.

MikePro

huge fan of matte or satin finishes for wall wraps, overlay with glossy text/artwork if you want to mix/match for some pizazz.
if first time, avoid any sort of tiling that would force you to align crazy amounts of pixels/lines of copy. Easy to reduce the amount of effort of your install when keeping your media limitations in mind during design/layout.

def 1" overlap! as far as material, if wall is sheetrock, I am a big fan of Avery 2611- no lamination needed and matte finish- any other wall finish, specially painted cinder block walls, I stick with 3m180cv3 with matte. laminate! good luck!

ikarasu

Biggest tip since I didn't see anyone else mention it...

Full panels are less forgiving. If your first 10 FT panel goes on even slightly crooked... Then the rest of your panels go on slight crooked as well, then when you get to your 5th panel...you have a big white gap at the top. We spend twice as much time on the first panel than on the rest... and its worth it.

Construction around here is shoddy... one side can be 12' and then the other 12'6". We measure one end then the other... then add the appropriate amount of bleed. We also make sure the panels are level with enough bleed for out of square walls... dont just square it up to the wall / ceiling because as things shift they're rarely ever square.

full panels are just as easy as cut vinyl once you learn the ins and outs.

Biggest tip since I didn't see anyone else mention it...

Full panels are less forgiving. If your first 10 FT panel goes on even slightly crooked... Then the rest of your panels go on slight crooked as well, then when you get to your 5th panel...you have a big white gap at the top. We spend twice as much time on the first panel than on the rest... and its worth it.

Construction around here is shoddy... one side can be 12' and then the other 12'6". We measure one end then the other... then add the appropriate amount of bleed. We also make sure the panels are level with enough bleed for out of square walls... dont just square it up to the wall / ceiling because as things shift they're rarely ever square.

full panels are just as easy as cut vinyl once you learn the ins and outs.
100 % agree with this!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
another tip: rotate every other panel. Printing across can be slightly inconsistent, and you don't see it until you are lining them up. If you rotate every other panel, the color will remain consistent from panel to panel.