• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

fumes from versa cam

Dave Stacey

Hi
I was wondering about the fumes on the VersaCam eco system.
If I purchase one, it would have to be setup in a basement with one window witch it wouldn't be close to.
I 've lots of question but I find most of the answers on this forum.

Thanks

Dave

RobGF

If you're not able to exchange air and you're serious about this you might want to check out some of the products from Island Clean Air. We use one of their dusters with a hot-solvent printer and it really makes a difference. I would think with eco-sovent it would certainly provide you with peace of mind.

Bigdawg

Just Me
If you are looking for something that will take the smell out of the air, try this: http://www.ecoquestintl.com/productguide/product_guide.asp# For a basement you probably wouldn't need a commercial unit.

I work with a lot of print shops and the bigger they are the more they smell. Ecoquest has a huge in-house print shop, running 4-color presses, prepress, the whole nine yards - and you would never have any idea that they were there by the smell. There simply isn't any odor. I have seen what their products can do and if we were to get anything that uses solvent inks, this would be a must-have.

Derf

it don't have to smell to kill you!

I have a Mutoh and It is in it's own room with OK ventilation.

I would not want to be in the same room all day even if I smell nothing

gtjet

Ditto, we have the sp 300 and you can smell it at times. We do not have commercial ventilation but we do have ventilation and would not be without it. Have read way too much on the effects of VOC's to take something like that for granted.

Dave Stacey

Thanks
All these suggestions help.
I don't know if I'm buying yet.I'm getting a lot of pressure for large format, short term advertising, & practically next day service.(I forgot cheap) I've done well with my Edge2 & the last payment is due Feb. It sound like most like the Roland & suggest the 54".

Thanks

ChiknNutz

I have been printing with my SP-540V since the end of July with the Triangle inks. When doing heavy printing with lots of coverage, I can definitely smell it, usually it is quite noticeable. I am in a 20 x 36 shop with a proper heating system that moves a lot of air, but I can still smell it often. Not sure how some of you don't notice any smell unless it is in a large room. It is not overwhelming, but it is definitely there.

Ken

I use my sp300 in a small shop, and though I can smell it a little, it's not objectionable. Ken

blackbok

We just started running a 545 EX (eco sol) in our small shop, and on big prints there's a noticeable odor. people walk in and wince. I am becoming concerened, especially coming home two days in a row with a headache.

Barry

blackbok said:
We just started running a 545 EX (eco sol) in our small shop, and on big prints there's a noticeable odor. people walk in and wince. I am becoming concerened, especially coming home two days in a row with a headache.

The 545EX is a bit worse with smell as its putting out more ink faster.. 6 heads flying across spitting out ink...

advsign22

I have not gotten a headache from the fumes in my shop. I actually like the smell it puts in the shop (smells like money to me), never had a customer complain but I only have the SP-300.
Ken

TC49010

Ok since we are on this subject of fumes I have a few questions and hopefully some one can provide some insight!
I am considering getting a versacam but now I am concerned about the fumes and having open exposed customer garments etc to the fumes of any kind. Right now I do embroidery and Tons of thermoflex and vinyl. Would I need to have the versacam in a totally seperate enclosed area with ventalation as oposed to out in the open running with all the other equipment?

Who has the best deal on the versacam now?

Thanks for any input!!
Trixie

Bradster941

Lets look at what is important here:

By design, a typical house is designed to have 2 to 3 air changes per hour, and that is a typical residential structure, normal environment conditions.

Now, add something that adds an excessive amount of pollutants, and your fresh air makeup simply must increase to maintain an exceptable air quality.

ADVSIGN,
I have not gotten a headache from the fumes in my shop. I actually like the smell it puts in the shop (smells like money to me),

totally ridicules post so we won’t even go there.

GraphiXtreme

“I am in a 20 x 36 shop with a proper heating system that moves a lot of air”
Moving a lot of air is not the same as bringing in Fresh outside air, (referred to as Make Up Air), to maintain the air quality within the envelope. Your system that moves allot of air is only moving the air within the structure.

Short story is, no matter how much money your printer is making you, it really isn’t going to matter while your laying on your rented death bed at the hospital.

Make sure you have proper ventilation.... :smile:

Color Dude

The more heat you apply the higher the VOC's, this is also true for coverage aswell. Even the MAX Inks have an odor. The new Mutoh Ultra Inks, even have a odor. Of course they would, they are manyfactured from the same plant that the MAX inks are. DUH!!

There is noway to get away from the odor issue with any Eco inks, I was a sheetfed pressman for 15 years, I smelled all kinds of toxic fumes for years. Like anything else, if you do it long enough, you become immune to the smell. That doesnt mean it is not doing damage. When I run a Toucan LT printer for more than 3 hours non stop I have the worse headache. Even with the Captive air system.

Im tellin ya, it is doing damage.

Happy Printing

Scott Reynolds

Dave Stacey said:
Thanks

At the trade show I got the"no problem" response.

The ISA in Vegas this year, I had a headache 10 min after getting there! :help:
It smelled like people were painting cars in there.