• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FX foil caddy positioning / RETRY? error fix...

UltraHIVE

hey all, not sure if this was covered allready, but im sure some of u have had this problem.

after a year of use, when i would insert the caddys, they would shift in a way that would cause an RETRY? error. the hubs would miss the spindle, and that silly little paperclip looking thing would keep the caddy from locking in.

so i cut small 3 x 1 inch strips of thin cardboard from post office mailers, and taped them to the front of all the caddys creating a small spacer. it fixed the problem immediatly.

for a while i was just holding the caddy back a little bit until the spindles would catch, but thats like 70% effective compared to the cardboard.

rock on! :rock-n-roll:

UltraHIVE

i retract my "error fix" post due to this *&%$#@ enomoly still happening. im about to go Sylar on this thing. gonna strip the covers, find exactly whats out of sync and fix the carp out it. ill repost a real fix in a few days.. peace.

UltraHIVE

Sylar is a character on the show Heroes. his power is that he can learn or fix other peoples powers. he was a watchmaker and could fix just about anything. the only problem was that he liked to slice open peoples skulls to learn there powers, making him homicidal maniac, and a bad guy on the show.

anyway, i removed the front paperclip looking, locking pin from an FX caddy, that holds the front hub from advancing when the caddy is closed. i tried it on the caddy / color giving me the most problems and it seems to be the real fix. i dont have to hold anything now, but we'll see after a few runs. actually there were 2 problems but i think they are related, and hopefully its that paperclip looking pin.

UltraHIVE

removing the front locking clip was definately the problem. i also removed that blue color ID bar that Gerber foils have, but i dont think that matters much. now, i can keep the caddy closed while i rewind foil, as well as a "no-handed" print, once the foil is inserted. YES!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh.... :)

UltraHIVE

this is still working great. the only drawback is the freewheel feel to the front hub. i kinda liked when it was taught, when the caddy was closed. but, this way has allready saved me sooo much time and anxiety.