• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

FX Lubrication... Hack 101

UltraHIVE

ok, so before i attempt to seem like i did something right, im a hack, but a good one. i try to figure things out before asking, and even try to re-figure an answered question to my likings. i get that from my pops; Mr. trial and error, error, error.. hehe. im sure i went beyond this time but this is how i fixed my problem.

i swear by white lithium grease, and use it on the travel bolt that raises and loweres the foil caddy in my FX. at first i didnt think id ever need it, but then it happened. i turned on the FX and thought i heard a dinosaur. the caddy tray wasnt moving while the stepper motor was yelling at me. i went online and read that its most likely a lubrication issue with that travel bolt.

i didnt like what i read on how to apply it when needed, so i wound up removing the case and applying the grease, wallah... pain in the but? yes.
this would happen every month, not fun. the last time i removed the case i decided since my warranty was up, and no way in hell was i gonna pay for "just in caseness".. that i would modify the case to allow for ease of lubing. i Dremel cut out about the size of an iPhone directly over the junction box where the travel bolt passes through (travel bolt and junction box might not be the right part names).

after some filing and sanding, i re-installed the cover. then i designed a cover for the hole in Composer, printed grey onto Gerber mag, plotted and done. when i need to lube i remove the magnet cover and use a small paint brush to move around the collected grease build-up back onto the threads. it works for me, i dont worry about touching anything important other then the bolt thats now 3 inches from the hole.

rock on! :rock-n-roll: