• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Galvanized Metal bending and cutting

Lauren-R

Stuff and Stuff
As of now its 46" high, 8" wide, would have cut out vertical lettering, and 2 bends to make it like a free standing sign. Plus more details in the drawing.

Cannot find many people that cut galvanized steel or being able to bend it as well. Suggestions on places to contact for this type of work?
(This is also posted in CNC and laser cutting but cannot figure out how to delete it from there - this seems like the better place to post.)

Attachments

• freestanding.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 126

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's no different than cutting any other carbon steel, it's just a coating. What's black galvanized? You sure it's not painted bonderized sheet or black zinc coating?

Notarealsignguy

I don't think you want to cut galvanized, but rather galvanize metal after it's cut, otherwise all the cut regions would be non-galvanized and would rust pretty fast. This should be a simple operation for a machine shop, I imagine most are not even bothering to look at it when they hear 'cut from galvanized...'
Agreed but the plan calls out "black galvanized" which I would assume that he meant paint grip cut and painted black after. We have a customer that calls paint grip galvanized, it drives me nuts. I had him order me a 4x10 galvanized sheet (they get better pricing) for base molding on our shop and he got paint grip. I even told him g40 or g60. That stuff will rust quickly sitting on concrete.

Notarealsignguy

Never heard either black galvanized or paint grip, though our steel offerings aren't near as expansive as aluminum. Is that the same as bonderized steel?
"Bonderized steel, also referred to as paint grip steel, is galvanized steel that has been put through a phosphate bath and a chromate dry" - some website
yes paint grip is bonderized steel. You can paint it without any special treatment like you have to with zinc galvanized steel and still have a decent level of corrosion protection.