• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gather media during cutting

Gather media during cutting

• Problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hesam

Hi guys

After printing on the media and cutting it in color, the corners of the media become crowded
I tested it with some brands, but the problem has not been solved
Help me please
Thankful

Attachments

• photo_2017-10-14_17-08-01.jpg
    photo_2017-10-14_17-08-01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 140
  • photo_2017-10-14_17-08-02.jpg
    photo_2017-10-14_17-08-02.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 157

OmegaAdv

Monomer vinyl have that problem, before I have mutoh with custom profile with ecosolvent ink 3rd party and was very often thing, after I get mimaki on mild solvent jetbest, that happended after the sun heat it most on reds and cyan/magenta composites, never seen it on yellow till now. Now Im with new mimaki with ecosolvent inktec and Im afraid that will have that problem.

If you laminate it it wouldn't happen, but if you need like that you have to put transport tape after cutting. But if after installation the vinyl do it, change the brand.

Last edited:

ikarasu

Are you talking about the lifting / curling?

Cheaper material will do that on full bleeds. That's why most brands, including the expensive 3M Recommends leaving a white border. We always do full bleed cuts... the trick is you need to let the vinyl off gas for a long time. Let it off gas for a day or two before cutting it, see if that solves your problem.

It's also less of an issue on cast than it is on calendared material - Calendared material wants to shrink... while cast will curl if you cut it straight off the printer, it's usually not a problem if you let it sit for a few hours / day before cutting it.

OmegaAdv

Calendared = Monomer here. I didn't know that catch to leave it for a day. but with jetbest inks on my jv3 I always cut after print and ive never see that problem - media orajet 3164. But they I think are mild or true solvent (very hard smell). Tommorow I will try with ecosolvent inktec.

ikarasu

Orajet is a decent media - Theres also two types of Calandered... Monomeric and Polymeric. Polymeric is better than mono, as it doesn't shrink as much.

I believe most orajet is Polymeric... but I may be wrong, I know the Calandered we use from them is. The cheap stuff you can get for $100 a roll is usually always Monomeric... That stuff curls on us no matter how long we let it offgas. Heck... by the time we get to the end of the roll, you can see how much it's shrinked and see like a quarter inch of backing paper on it. That stuff would probably curl even without it being printed on.

Eco-solvent has a lot of alcohol in it... the alcohol evaporates, and the vinyl gets stiffer which causes it to curl (If it's been cut). Latex heats it up so much, cutting it will also cause it to curl right away... I had a cheap $100 roll of monomeric, and by the time it was out of my latex machine it was rolling itself back up pretty tight. First and last time I used monomeric cheap material.

Stick to good brands like Avery, Orajet, 3M, Hexis, and you should be fine with curling no matter the printer type, so long as you let it off gas - Buy cheap no name brands, and you'll likely run into problems.

We use an Eco solvent... I just cut 1000 decals, non laminated about an hour after they were printed. No curling or nothing... but I used a Cast material. There are lots of things that come into play when it comes to curling... If you use cheap material, you need a white bleed around it.

OmegaAdv

That orajet that I mean is monomeric, with polimeric Ive never have an issue but the price is 3 times high ( 100$ for monomeric - 100microns).Ive print and cut a lot but never try cast, here is very expensive and will not be sellable :( And yes I agree good media, no problems.

Hesam

Thank you so much for the answer
I use the "highlight" brand that I got into this problem
I used "ORACAL" as well, which was the same problem
But the amazing thing is that I do not have a problem on transparent media and only happens on white.
Can the thickness of the used material or the amount of adhesive be suspected?