• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General bookmark, memorable, royalty free open art

Craig Keller

We have a lot of customers that are wanting just general scenery art. Such as water falls, ocean scenes, horses running, etc. These are used on book marks, memorables of past people and such. They just like to pick scenes for these items. Any suggestions on where to find or purchase this type of artwork. Seem to like real photograph stuff. Not straight vector.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Why would you want to do that, when you have access to tens of thousands of stock photos as you need them?

signbrad

We use Adobe Stock for photos as well as clipart. It seems reasonably priced and has a decent selection of images. There may be limits on the number of impressions you can print with a particular license. But I never even come close to the limit. I can even upload an image into a search window and I can then download the full rez image from their stock if they have the same picture, which they often do. They also have watermarked comps that they call "previews" that can be used for free for customer approval before I buy. I can also send the Adobe Stock link to my customer to peruse on their own time and not tie up my computer or a salesperson's time. They then just give me the stock numbers for their choices.

There may be advantages to using some of the other image-licensing services (larger choice of resolutions, for instance). And restrictions are similar to those on other services. Clipart cannot be part of a logo design or branding scheme, for example, since all the copyrights to the images are owned by the original creators. Adobe Stock is just a middleman. The US Patent & Trademark Office will always deny registration for a trademark that incorporates clipart. But this restriction is a standard proviso with all the image-licensing services, which makes sense. Clipart has no place in a "logo" design, anyway, since it can't be protected, in addition to being copyright infringement.

Add the subscription cost to your monthly overhead. We don't charge a separate fee for an image unless we have to pay a separate fee for an image from another site (like Getty!).

Brad
cold in Kansas City

SignDesignLady

Always Learning
Another free option is unsplash.com. I use freepik.com and pay an annual subscription for unlimited downloads and there is quality vector art as well as photos.

Craig Keller

Thanks another question. Like using these stock photos for bookmarks that are 2x7in when resized it stretches the image a lot. Is there a way to resize a larger photo down without getting the stretching issues?

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I don't get a lot of requests for images, normally the client supplies their own. But I do have a Dreamstime account, and awhile back they sent me a great offer! $1 a month for 1 download (any quality), and it accumulates if you don't use it, plus I charge the client full price for the image. I currently have 4 images banked.

Stacey K

I like making signs
For this kind of stuff, if the customer is looking for something specific, I tell them to go on IStock or Shutterstock and find the image they want and let me know the ID#. I remind them that if I have to look through 1000's of photos to find a specific scene, they are paying for me to do that. 9/10 people have ZERO issue with doing that themselves, in fact they feel part of the process and most rather enjoy it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
there Amish lol
OMG - that is hilarious! I just had an Amish guy come in yesterday and sit with me. He had the neighbor take photos of his stallion and he wants it photoshopped in a field. We spent about 20 minutes together looking at IStock photos! He also ordered some business cards for his son's horse shoeing business.

I didn't ask him if it was his stallion that dropped a load in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot last week but there's a good chance it was...LOL