• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Formulations Holographic

StickerBros

We have been trying to test out the new printable holographic from GF. Our summa cutter is having a hard time finding the dots on the vinyl. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this issue?

Saturn

Aging Member
If you have white ink and are willing to skip barcoding it, you can print a 1" white circle or square behind each black regmark. Beyond that you can try a yellow filter, a new Graphtec, or scratchy/tapey DIY suggestions folks make here on the forums. (Paste this > "site:signs101.com holographic opos summa" into a Google search.)

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
You can outline each reg mark with white tape around each one.
One of my customers has done it by first cutting out stickers on white vinyl to go around reg marks instead of using tape when doing reflective

Artflop78

We were using this material. I did cut stickers to cover around the summa marks. If you apply the sticker on all the summa marks of the first side the cutter is gonna read the rest of the marks.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
If you have white ink and are willing to skip barcoding it, you can print a 1" white circle or square behind each black regmark. Beyond that you can try a yellow filter, a new Graphtec, or scratchy/tapey DIY suggestions folks make here on the forums. (Paste this > "site:signs101.com holographic opos summa" into a Google search.)
How's the GF holo?
I was thinking about buying some, but I'm not sure about the "short-term" outdoors, how long is short term?

Saturn

Aging Member
How's the GF holo?
I was thinking about buying some, but I'm not sure about the "short-term" outdoors, how long is short term?

The GF Holographic (GF0765) I recently picked up is nice stuff and seems to print, cut, and take the ink well. I laminate it with a calendared gloss. Unfortunately I can't speak to the durability yet. The spec sheet indicates it's FAR less than the 4-7 years most of my white calendared, like 6 months outdoors. MY assumption is that's related to the adhesive as much as anything, but I bet there's other folks on the forum here that can speak to the overall durability of holo and specialty stuff in the sun and elements.

I don't know that there's any "great" holo out there, but at least with the GF stuff I feel like it's slightly more likely to be mostly USA made and consistent quality. For "merch" level stickers I don't think you can do much better... ? There's cheaper, but if you thought you were going to sell a few rolls a month, it could be harder to source than GF.

As a reference point, StickerMule's FAQ on holo indicates theirs is outdoor durable for only 6 months as well, and I'm sure they sell a pallet or two a week of the stuff. So somebody's happy with it.

Goatshaver

Seems like it's the same as Britelines holo material. Both are 6mil in 30" rolls. I'd try the yellow filter over your sensor, that seems to help. I think I had my sensor set to around 30 for reading that material on my Summa.

Attachments

• OPOS Filter for Reflective.pdf
    794.1 KB · Views: 228

Goatshaver

The GF Holographic (GF0765) I recently picked up is nice stuff and seems to print, cut, and take the ink well. I laminate it with a calendared gloss. Unfortunately I can't speak to the durability yet. The spec sheet indicates it's FAR less than the 4-7 years most of my white calendared, like 6 months outdoors. MY assumption is that's related to the adhesive as much as anything, but I bet there's other folks on the forum here that can speak to the overall durability of holo and specialty stuff in the sun and elements.

I don't know that there's any "great" holo out there, but at least with the GF stuff I feel like it's slightly more likely to be mostly USA made and consistent quality. For "merch" level stickers I don't think you can do much better... ? There's cheaper, but if you thought you were going to sell a few rolls a month, it could be harder to source than GF.

As a reference point, StickerMule's FAQ on holo indicates theirs is outdoor durable for only 6 months as well, and I'm sure they sell a pallet or two a week of the stuff. So somebody's happy with it.
What are you laminating this with? Thickness? And are you just doing kiss cuts or are you cutting through material and backer on these?

mim

0_o
We have been trying to test out the new printable holographic from GF. Our summa cutter is having a hard time finding the dots on the vinyl. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this issue?

I forget the exact scenario that I did this, but I had somehow printed the dots on top of some "test prints" that I thought it would miss off to the side, my summa couldn't register them. I just cut away the vinyl around the dots exposing the white backing paper underneath and then it was able to read the dots. Not a great permanent solution but it could work in a pinch :)