• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

General Summa DC4 questions

Slamdunkpro

We're thinking about adding a DCsx to our line up. I'm familiar with thermal transfer printing, but I wanted to ask the Smuma owners; are these printers only good for line art or will they do dithered bitmaps (photos) as well?

Thanks.

garisimo

We have a DC4, and it really fits our production needs. Most of the time we print spot color (especially reds and blacks), but when we print photo images it is more than adequate for the task -- I like to compare the print quality to the difference you would see between a photo inkjet printer and a color laser printer -- we don't have much call for photo quality prints; the ones we do need are outsourced. So if you need photo quality prints, look to an inkjet printer. The negatives of the summa: higher consumables, not photo quality. The positives: consistent color, no ink heads to clog, solid as a tank.

Hope that helps!

-g-

Ruddbow

I utilize mine all the time for photos. I often underestimate the capabilities of this machine.