• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Generic vs Genuine Roland Parts

Generic VS Original parts [ this poll concerns only the "basic" parts ]

• Total voters

magprint

Premium Subscriber
Hey there !

I see a lot of generic parts on well known stores like digiprint. I heard that some of them like captops and dampers are to be avoided (random quality). But what about "simple" parts like the SHEET, LINEAR SCALE VP-300 sold for more than 200$ by roland and less than 60$ in generic brand ?
I need to change these parts and I hesitate between generic, what do you think (to renovate a vs540 bought second hand and which causes me some problems):

1000002162 - SHEET,ROTARY DISK SLIT 360LPI
1000002665 - SHEET,LINEAR SCALE VP-300

emhmotorsports

I can attest to staying away from captops and dampers on Digiprint; my issues went away after replacing with Roland parts. In general, I use the rule that aftermarket parts are probably OK as long as they're not electrical, electronic, require a precision fit/function, or are a structural member. In other words; things that require no more quality control than a quick eyeballing to see that it's bad.

With that said, I do use aftermarket inks and solvents - which so far - has not yet bitten me on the behind...