• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Geocaching

dlndesign

Does anyone here participate in the geocaching experience?

If you do not know what this is, check out geocaching.com for more info.

In a nutshell its a treasure hunt. All you really need is a gps, and a internet connection. I have found that it gets me out more often and I get to see a lot of places I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't been caching.

Dzrt1st

My wife and I have been doing it off and on since 2003. Takes you to alot of places close to home that you never knew existed.

Todd

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've been toying with the idea, and how I can implement it into my marketing plan.

I rent window display space in town but do not keep store hours there. I plan on putting the way points of my store front window display on a business cards with no other information...just the coodinates only. I'll hang the business cards around town, on bulletin boards and such.

In my window display, geocachers will find another set of way point coodinates that will direct them to my rural shop where I'll have a cache located next to our stone monument sign next to the road.

We do stone and monument engraving, and next to the cache will be an boulder engraved with our company logo and way points. Customers can make their own "coupon" (for select items) by doing a rubbing of our logo (with pencil and paper) and presenting it to us when they place their order.

I'd be interested to hear how others are using geocaching in their marketing plans.

Jim

Last edited:

dlndesign

James,
That sure is a clever marketing niche. I think I'll steal that idea and work it into my promotions as well.

Thanks!:cool1:

James Burke

That sure is a clever marketing niche. I think I'll steal that idea and work it into my promotions as well.

Take the idea, and make improvements as needed. I think it's a good way to literally drive customers to our businesses. Even if they don't buy, they'll be educated about what we do. Sooner or later, it will pay off...either from them or someone they've told.

In addition to the above post, we also do engraved bricks for fundraising walkway projects. I plan on placing a few bricks into some of our recent projects with only the way points engraved...nothing else. We have several big projects at hospitals, libraries, and colleges and there's sure to be curious geocachers walking about.

If you know of a local organization that has a similar brick project, it's a perfect way to advertise your way points and support a good cause at the same time.

Jim

Last edited:

John L

right on. We did it a few times back in 2003 and then just picked up a few the other day. Theres a Geocaching Iphone app too.

joeshaul

Been on a few with friends, it was enjoyable and can be challenging depending on how hard of a course you choose!

James Burke

Here's our stone & sign.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 110

threads1

Here's a great site:

http://www.geocaching.com/

When you go to a Cache you are expected to take something and leave something. It could be another way to get business or offer promotions. And, it's a great way to get outside with the whole family being involved.

smullen

I love to Geocache... Been a paid member on Geocaching.com for a few years now and I've been using a Garmin Coloroado 400T.. Seems pretty good for downloading caches right offa geocaching.com... Not used others so I can't compare...

Its great fun to get you outdoors and walking more...

RMXGRAPHIX

Me and my better half have done it a few times. We pick a spot somewhere we can ride our motorcycles. 20 - 100 miles and go from there. Pick a great restaurant,some cold beverages and we make a date out of it

airbrushkarin

Me and my better half have done it a few times. We pick a spot somewhere we can ride our motorcycles. 20 - 100 miles and go from there. Pick a great restaurant,some cold beverages and we make a date out of it

Thats just what I do on the rare occasion that I get out and get moving on it...

Sideshow

Wow, its a small world.

A good friend of mine is into it, and asked me to help with the design of his stores logo as well as t-shirt design etc. He is creating and selling his own swag for people to stash and find!!

Very cool!