• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gerber 408 CNC Router Help

Cody Cruea

Hello,

My dad has this Gerber 408 CNC Router that we both know only the basics to cutting with. I've only used this router to cut 2-D shapes out of plexiglass and some times a brushed aluminum on foam. Besides that, I don't know how to properly use it to cut sheets of aluminum or wood, although I know this router is more than capable of it.

I normally work with vinyl and printing, so I'm pretty fluent with vector designing. I use Composer, along with Corel, and Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I use ArtPath for my routing jobs. I normally send over my vectors from Composer [copy paste] to ArtPath, and give my inputs to the Male cut, in which based on my bits I set the tools for the basic cut. So for basic shapes I'm comfortable with for plexiglass cut outs ranging from thin to thick material. I have used other materials, but I've always found a hard time working with aluminum.

Here is where I need help:

I've been wanting to use this router for more intricate cuts such as 3-D shapes on wood, such as beveled edges and engravings. But more importantly I'd like to understand how to use the coolant mister device that is already hooked up to the router.

I'm assuming the provided vegetable oil gallon would be poured into the TriCo Spray Master coolant tank, built in to the side of the router, plugged in with an air compressor.

Is this correct? How do I run the coolant mister? Are there any good videos that I can address that would help me with the tools I have?

I've done most of my research using YouTube videos, and I'm at a dead end. Most of the videos I find are either operating videos (without intro or tutorial on the actual procedure, just the router doing the cutting without showing info on the set up) or using a program that I don't work in nor can really coorelate to my own program.

I would like to learn how to run ArtPath using Composer to generate 3-D shapes, and understand how to cut through wood and metal. If you have any advice on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_7039.jpg
    IMG_7039.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 876

Eric H

3D on the Sabre with Artpath is a little misleading it is only for “V” carving and raised prismatic letters. To do true 3D you need another program such as Artcam. Programs that work with the Sabre are a bit limited. Coolant mister is only needed for cutting aluminum and other soft metals, but I have not used one personally. The bits make a big difference for cutting aluminum, single O flute work well even without the mister.

Cory Marcin

This should get you going.
Good luck!

Attachments

• Guide to Cutting Aluminum.pdf
    118 KB · Views: 435
  • Sabre Mist Coolant Option.pdf
    462.9 KB · Views: 439

Cody Cruea

3D on the Sabre with Artpath is a little misleading it is only for “V” carving and raised prismatic letters. To do true 3D you need another program such as Artcam. Programs that work with the Sabre are a bit limited. Coolant mister is only needed for cutting aluminum and other soft metals, but I have not used one personally. The bits make a big difference for cutting aluminum, single O flute work well even without the mister.
This should get you going.
Good luck!
Damn thank you!

johnnysigns

Artpath is pretty limited, you're going to have to spend some money for new software or get creative in feeding the machine G-code. I thought Enroute had drivers for the Gerbers, I don't have experience with Artcam. Mind the lead screws on the machine, they can take a beating under heavy use and if the coating starts to wear off you're going to have to replace them. I have some PDFs on changing all three axis screws if you need. It's a chore, but not terrible to change them.

5041shelby

Artpath is pretty limited, you're going to have to spend some money for new software or get creative in feeding the machine G-code. I thought Enroute had drivers for the Gerbers, I don't have experience with Artcam. Mind the lead screws on the machine, they can take a beating under heavy use and if the coating starts to wear off you're going to have to replace them. I have some PDFs on changing all three axis screws if you need. It's a chore, but not terrible to change them.

5041shelby

Does anyone know if the old version artpath can open standard gcode gcode txt or tap files and what post processor in vectric would be compatible with gerber dimension 200 or if not what other program would be able to create amgcode the gerber would run

5041shelby

Thanks i dont use a mister ...what im trying to find out is what other softeware if any can i use to create gcode gerber artpath will run